Chapter 8

The tribe and Laxus made their way along the path again, keeping close attention to any enemies that might be near the vicinity.

"So... what was that... pink thing?" Bickslow asked nervously.

"A Fritachilac." Freed replied. "They are called the 'Guardians of the Lord', although we don't know what they guard and what this 'Lord' is."

"Ooh. Uhh... how did they..."

"We don't know. What we do know is that they are centuries old, existing during the time dragons were hugely dominant in the world. Some suspect they might've come from the Demon Underworld, but we just have no proof. All we do know is that they have a huge fear of a large amount of water, because nearly their whole race was wiped out during a huge fight between two dominant water dragons. They also absorb lightning as a power outlet for energy."

Laxus gulped. Good thing Cobalt had attacked before he had released the large burst of lightning, otherwise the Fritachilac would've been much harder to fight.

"By the way, I didn't catch how you defeated the Fritachilac?" Freed suddenly brought up. Laxus internally groaned.

Not this again.

"Does it matter?" He said sourly.

Freed raised an eyebrow. "Yes, because I'm creating a large book of information about all the beasts and enemies, magic types and mages we fight and meet during our travels. So, how did you beat it?"

Laxus scrambled for an answer, but turned up empty. He could almost feel Freed's smirking at him, and he finally sighed.

"Water."

"And where did the water come from?"

"... A water mage."

"And where did this water mage come from?"

"He's the one who saved you."

"And he's a...?"

"... Dragon slayer."

"And let me guess. He wants to mate me?"

"H-How?!"

"You seemed hesitant to mention him. Plus, he had the same feeling as you when he saved me. I guessed."

"You're too smart for your own good." Laxus grumbled, look extremely disgruntled.

"Why don't you two just mate and we'll be fine, unless he's your soulmate." Bickslow suggested.

"Oh yeah how does the soulmate thing work again? I'm a bit fuzzy on it." Laxus said.

Freed immediately launched into information mode.

"Everyone has their fated pair, who is called their soulmate. You can find out if someone is your soulmate when you kiss on the lips . A strand of you hair will become their hair colour and you will be binded together by fate. If the person you love isn't your soulmate, you can still date, get married and have children and stuff, but the 'connection' of a soulmate will be lost.

The 'connection' is an intimate bond one has with their soulmate. You'll feel each other's emotions more deeper and when becoming more... intimate, the feeling will be amplified. Likewise, if one becomes injured, the other partner will also feel it, although not to the extent as the original person.

If you are a dragon slayer's mate, you'll already feel it. After dragon mating season, you'll return to normal, unless you are the dragon slayer's 'fated mate'. If so, similar to soulmates, you'll be connected. However, no one knows if that person is also the dragon slayer's soulmate.