7 | Trust and Time

//trust and time// 

The white, iridescent Sprite held my arm in a vice. As if they didn't trust I wouldn't flee if left to my own devices. My hand was tingling.

They led our small caravan through the crowd. Somehow, the creatures parted for them. Though it didn't surprise me much. They seethed, giving off a vibe that others should be wary.

For the first time since I'd met her, Nissa remained silent. She walked to my left. Her eyes darted about, as though afraid of being caught. She hung her head. But why was she ashamed? I was the one who'd gotten lost, then allowed myself to get distracted. I was the one who was late to the meeting specifically for me.

Great first impression, Belline, I thought, plucking at the hem of my jean shorts. How silly, it felt now, to have chosen this outfit with the intention of impressing them. I would never impress these creatures: the perfect melding of mage and warrior.

After all, I was just some human girl from Earth. My knowledge of Eternity—and specifically of Sprite relations—was sorely lacking. The best I had were shoddy inferences. I was truly going in blind.

My heartrate spiked. I focused on breathing in through my nose, out through my mouth. Succumbing to a panic attack would not impress the Sprites.

Either my worry was tangible, or Nissa was also scared, because her hand latched onto mine. She engulfed me, her hand twice the size of mine. But it was warm and calloused, something sturdy to balance me. So I squeezed back.

She shot me a smile. I missed her thousand-watt sales face. I also missed the dizayen. The escape from reality, merely existing: sky and creature, nothing more.

Prince Rune's words echoed in my mind: "Be yourself. You will win them over." Nissa's hand in mine, and his words, encouraged my sleeping confidence to wake.

Yes, I was blind to the events of Eternity and her people. But this was an opportunity to learn, to grow. Rather than fear my ignorance, I would own it. Rather than hide it, I would embrace it. And I would ask the Sprite Council to educate me, from their perspective. I had the unique opportunity to get both sides of the story. And I would get both.

We marched through the throngs for what felt like miles. But at last, the crowd thinned. Fewer and fewer creatures wandered here. And I realized why: there were no more vendor stalls. Businesses were few and far between. With nothing to sell, no one bothered with this side of the dusty streets.

Nissa and I slowed when we saw it. Before us stood a squat building, constructed with what appeared to be gray beech wood. Symbols decorated the posts and lentils of the doors. Crisscrossing slashes, crescent moons, and flower petals had been carved into the wood. Two large cauldrons, etched with the same symbols, blazed with bonfires on either side of the entrance.

The white Sprite and Nissa took the steps two at a time while I scrambled to follow. The Sprite shoved the door open with their shoulder. Eyes on me, they jerked their head inside. Only once I was through the doors did they release their grip on me.

I shook my hand out.

The entire building was a single, circular room. Torches flickered from the walls. Clerestory windows let in the natural light. It illuminated the throne-like chairs arranged in a semi-circle about the room. Two more chairs sat the center of the room, placed upon the tiling that depicted a tree. It looked quite similar to the tree that housed the Western Wind Cities.

My gaze locked on Prince Rune. He was halfway out of his chair. Through his long strands, his wide eyes burned with frenzied shadows. The war calmed once he appraised me. Flame entered his eyes. It lasted only a second. He erected his mask of stoicism quickly.