13.1 | Giant

//giant, part 01// 

Thankful Jack had taken to the bustling market below, Nissa and I freely discussed getting to the belowpass. In a couple days, I would return to Yantra City. We'd ride Gaia to the Crystal Caves, located to the south. Nissa promised to travel the cave with me until we reached the belowpass entrance. Then I was on my own. But I didn't mind. My heart soared.

Finally. Soon, I would be confronting Fate about the life sentence she'd placed on King Hadeth and Prince Rune. The fact that it was at last coming to fruition tightened my stomach. What would I say? Could I convince Fate to reverse her sentence? What was Fate like?

I was preoccupied the entire time back to the castle. Jack still said nothing to me. But it didn't occur to me to mind. I had preparations to make.

If Fate had the mind of a chess player, I couldn't try to outthink her. Like with the Sprite Council, I would be honest, forthright. Unlike with the Sprite Council, however, I wouldn't bother to impress her with my outfit. Yes, I wanted to look good and feel confident. But I doubted I would impress Eternity's judge, jury, and executioner.

I ransacked my wardrobe. Several dresses and outfits flung onto my bed and the table and chairs. I played around with outfits and combinations. I didn't want to look like I was trying too hard, but I still wanted to look good. Professional. Serious. I wanted—no, needed—Fate to take me seriously.

With a groan, my body flopped on top of my clothes.

"It's the hardest decision sometimes, isn't it?" a voice remarked from the doorway. Eika smiled at me.

I picked up a nearby pair of pants. "I have no idea what to wear."

"What's the occasion?" she asked as she dusted the shelves.

My lips pressed together. Eika wasn't dissuading me, but she wasn't encouraging me either. I knew if I asked, she'd offer her help without hesitation. But the guilt clawed at my insides. I realized how selfish I was being: doing what I wanted regardless of what the people around me wanted. It may have been for the sake of others, but the fact remained that I was being selfish. Guilt bit harder.

"Meeting Fate." I chewed on my inner cheek, fidgeting as I waited for her response.

She regarded the explosion of fabric around me. Her eyes scanned in opposite directions. After humming in contemplation for a moment, she gathered a few pieces. Once she arranged them, she asked, "What about this?"

She had chosen a long-sleeve shirt and a black-and-white checkered pinafore dress.

"I love it," I said, holding up the dress. "Thank you."

"Of course, Belline Paris."

"Eika?" I called before she left. When she glanced back at me, I said, "I'm sorry."

A soft smile bloomed on her face. "Just be careful. There are many here who care deeply for you."

"I know. And I will."

.

As the Prince and I sat across from each other at the table in the dining room, my body wriggled. My brain reminded me over and over again that in a few days, I would be confronting Fate on Prince Rune's behalf—and he had no idea. I had to tell him. I wanted to tell him. He had been so selfless, so understanding, so giving, throughout this whole thing. It was the least he deserved.

His father sat with us. As usual, he commanded the conversation. He allowed for little silence. And as he gesticulated and chirped along merrily, I peered sidelong at him.