14.2 | Ink in Water

//ink in water, part 02// 

"Faetra, what are you discussing with the Earth maiden?"

Fate's unblinking eyes found me again. She lifted a hand to encourage me to answer.

But Moirae had me tongue-tied. I had to clear my throat several times and study my boots before I could squeak out, "I want Fate to lift the curse on the royal family."

To my surprise, Moirae squealed. "Is it out of love?" Before I could reply, she spun to the throne. "Lemme guess. My stingy sister gave you an outright no."

Fate sat as tall as she could and folded her hands in her lap. With her full attention on Moirae, I dared to relax further.

As stupid as it was, I wondered if I could persuade Moirae to take my side. Then, she could argue in my stead. Apparently she held some kind of sway over Fate. If that were the case, there stood a chance I could free King Hadeth and Prince Rune from their shackles. Hope fluttered in my chest. I bit down on my cheek to squelch the rising sensation.

"Moirae," drawled Fate, like a mother dealing with a child, "you have received strict instruction to leave my affairs as mine. Continue to respect them as you have."

Fate's sister hopped up to the throne, equal in size again. She sat on the floor and rested her arms on Fate's lap. Looking up at her sister with wide yet cunning eyes, she enticed, "Oh, sister, please. I'll be your counsel. I could hear your arguing. Let me test her, and if the Earth maiden passes, grant her wish. If she fails, then she agrees to your decision and never bothers you."

The butterflies of hope slammed against my ribs, jittery with nerves now. A test? Would Fate agree to such terms? She didn't strike me as the type to leave decisions up to a test. Although, a part of me hoped she did. Then all I had to do was pass. Hope grew again.

Moirae looked to me, beaming, "What do you say, maiden? You willing to take a test?"

There existed the possibility that I would fail. And I would have to abandon this entirely, forever. But I had no intention of failing.

So I said, "Yes."

"I will hand you over to my sister, otherwise she will pester endlessly. But before I do so, I will ask again: Do you realize all of what you have asked of me?"

"Yes." I nodded once.

Fate's lips pursed. But she slouched ever so slightly. "Then we assent to my sister's terms. Shall you pass, I will lift the curse on the royal family. However, you fail, and you will accept the finality of my decision. "

At that, Moirae jumped to her feet, clapping, Before I could reflect on what I had just agreed to, she raced to my side. Gripping my hand, she tugged me behind the throne, down a staircase, and farther into the cave.

It was too late to back out now. No second thoughts, no time for doubts. I had to pass. Whatever test Moirae had up her sleeve, I would pass with flying colors. This was for King Hadeth, for Eternity—for the man I loved.

I half-expected Moirae to shrink with the environment. But she ducked and crouched and dodged as I did, just a few inches taller than me.

As close as we were like this, I stared briefly at her face. She was striking. And it occurred to me then just how dangerous beauty could be.

A few moments later, the cave expanded again. Water pooled at the center. Thankfully, there was enough room around the water that I didn't worry too much about touching it or falling in. Rocks carved into basins surrounded the pool. The basins were filled with glowing crystals. The largest basin held a pestle beside a collection of crystals arranged in the order of the rainbow.