4.2 | Lost

//lost, part o2// 

Creatures scurried everywhere: along the ground, through the boughs, in the air. They rushed about, squished shoulder to shoulder, moving from one vendor to the next. Wood stalls selling goods popped up every few feet. Buildings perched among the branches. Winged beings flew in and out of the endless miles of leaves. It was astounding.

"Maiden," called a voice softly, pulling me from my stunned admiration.

"It's huge," I whispered to Prince Rune, "and full of life." I slipped off the steed.

"It is a bursting metropolis," remarked the King, sweeping his arm to capture all of the Western Wind Cities. He'd never be able to—it was far too gargantuan.

Seeing the hundreds—if not thousands—of creatures moseying about both on and off leashes quieted any concerns I had. The mansions spilling from the boughs dashed any plans for a quick history lesson. The eight-foot-tall giants mingling with ankle-tall beings stole my every line of thought.

When a familiar bipedal crocodile (who did not stand out in such diverse company) emerged from the waves of creatures, relief caressed my shoulders. With Jack here, it was less likely I'd get hurt—or kidnapped—or murdered. Plus, seeing a familiar face among the innumerable strangers brought me a sense of ease.

He slurped at the black wriggling thing caught between his fangs. My lip curled, my nose crinkled, and my stomach roiled. But his eyes dazzled and he patted his belly like he hadn't eaten something disgustingly rat-like.

"You arrived surprisingly fast," intoned Prince Rune, his eyebrows drawn. His pursed lips suggested disapproval.

To which Jack merely grinned. "Had ta sample the delicacies. Don't get ta eat like this in the Royal City."

With Jack around, it inspired me to ask about the history of the royal family and the Sprites. I wanted a snapshot, a brief overview, so I didn't meet them completely blind and ignorant.

But I never got the chance to ask.

From the invisible entry line emerged two near-giants. Easily seven-feet-tall with proportionally large butterfly wings, these beings were the perfect marriage of human and insect, mage and hunter, danger and elegance.

Both were captivating, for different reasons. One had bright yellow wings like an eastern tiger swallowtail butterfly. Even their dark skin held accents of yellow. Like a natural glimmer highlighter, shimmers of yellow shone from their nose, cheekbones, and the corners of their eyes.

Their companion had the same highlight, except iridescent. It gave them a complexion of glass. Their wings and skin were snow-white. Their long white hair had been pulled back into a ponytail.

Except it wasn't their dazzling shade of white that made them captivating—it was their size. Nearing eight-feet, they were built entirely of muscles. Their bare arms and torso bulged with strength. They were a hulk. They also had a neck tattoo that resembled an ax—it stood out against their milky skin.

Both had eyes that held you captive: a strange mix of cat and snake eyes, their almond-shaped irises were a deep brown that enticed you to drown in them. And something told me you would drown if you weren't careful.

While the yellow one was not burly like their companion, their slender frame made them look even taller. Compared to the royal guards—tough, trained beings of average height—if a conflict broke out, we would lose before it even started.