Part 25

song used: En el mismo tren

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Go with her"

Julieta wasn't even surprised when Pepa whispered in her ear. It had been a terrible day and she had been struggling with the memories and the guilt. Karim was gone. She was late. She had failed you again.

She had run as fast as she could and still, it hadn't been enough, by the time she got to you, your brother was already dead, you were on your knees by the bed, sobbing uncontrollably while Eliza was lying on your brother's chest. She had approached you carefully and when she put a hand on your shoulder you had turned to her, throwing yourself into her arms.

Pepa and Felix were quick to take Eliza away while the brunette tried to comfort you the best way she could. But she knew that she really couldn't do much more than hold you tight while you let out all your pain. You had cried for hours.

Luisa had to carry you to the kitchen after Mirabel had managed to convince you to eat even a little and she was deeply grateful to her daughters. But the night was the worst. She had not been able to comfort you, no matter how hard she tried, and in the end, you had fallen asleep until sleep and exhaustion overcame you. It broke her heart.

This morning was not much better. The brunette had to help you while you put on one of her black dresses because you couldn't stop shivering, she also had to do your hair and makeup (although she gave up with your eyes, she knew there was nothing to do if you were going to cry). She didn't know what to do, you were some kind of zombie, staring at nothing and her voice couldn't seem to reach you. She didn't know what sin she owed to go through all this.

"It's not my place" Julieta whispered, still looking at you

"Juli-"

"At this moment, they belong to each other, Pepa" she interrupted her "let them cry"

The redhead just sighed and nodded, hugging her sister from behind and following her line of sight. You were on your knees, crying in front of the mound of earth where Karim rested, with Julieta's daughters surrounding you. Absolutely everyone in the Madrigal house had resented the loss of your brother. He had been, just like you and Eliza, an angel in their lives, he had made them laugh, he had supported them, he had been there for the youngest and everyone knew that nothing was going to replace him.

Pepa had already spent the whole morning crying and there was no one to comfort her because even Felix had remained silent, devastated at losing another friend. Dolores had cried into Mariano's chest and the boy had done his best to assure his girlfriend that none of this was her fault, but the girl kept saying that she should have run faster. Julieta could understand her.

Camilo had tried to take a disconsolate Antonio, but the fifteen-year-old hardly took two steps and also collapsed, so he chose to cry with his younger brother in his arms. Bruno and Alma had been the strong ones, who had to take them all back to Casita for something to eat. The matriarch also took care of Eliza for you.

But of all, Isabela was the one who was most affected and she was currently crying just as devastated as you in your arms. Karim had been her closest friend, perhaps her first friend if she was honest, she saw him as an older brother, he was her confidante, her protector. She felt as if thousands of thorns were thrust into her body.

Once you had told her that she was like the quetzal, that she carried hope on her wings, and that she should show her sisters a land that doesn't contain pain. She wanted to be that for you too, you deserved it after everything you had done for them. But the pain was too much and the oldest Madrigal granddaughter knew that she could not comfort you, not at that moment, so she chose to share your pain, carry it with you so that neither of you would drown.