Chapter 1: Work and an angel

You stood behind a counter in a bookshop. You tidied up behind the counter, knowing full well no one was going to be behind there. The clouds moved slowly through the summer afternoon sky, as a cow would move in a sunny pasture. You were working a bookshop that was straight up dark and edgy, the ironic thing is you weren't edgy or whatever the emo kids called it these days.
When you first joined the job, you were bright, happy, and full of life. Now, coming into your  106th week working as a cashier and clerk, you were burnt out and just wanting to head to bed. One of the worst parts about the job is that they didn't allow you to wear your suit, which fit you like a glove. Which was ironic because you used to hate suits.

You plastered on a fake smile as a girl with blue hair and nails plopped down her books about the various astronomy types with a scowl. You rang up her order while she tapped her foot. Once she finished with her order, she paid for her purchase and walked out the door. The second the door closed, you resumed your own frown, and you leaned back in your chair and glanced at the ceiling. It was four more hours until closing time, and you wished that it had been that time already.

''He-hello? Excuse me? Sir?'' a timid voice spoke from the other side of the counter. 

You leaned forward and saw a girl. She had black hair, a white suit, and what looked to be a halo. Huh, funny, you weren't sure if it was halloween yet, and you might have to check soon.

'Hello ma'am, ready to purchase?'' You put on a cheery voice and fake smile, the girl seemed to buy it, and her smile widened at your response.

''Yes hi, I was wondering, how much for this?'' The woman asked, placing a book on the counter that read: 'Demons and Witches, how to find them.'

''Ah, that would be $22.00. Would you like paper or plastic bags?''

''No need, I'll just carry this myself, thanks!'' The woman responded cheerfully. After paying for her book, the woman stepped out of the shop, humming as she went.

You sighed, and you got up, looking to do something else while you waited for your shift to end, wishing the day was over.

15 minutes later, you had a push broom in your hand, and you were tidying the backroom, where you held new shipments and collectibles before they were sorted. You pushed the broom up and down the halls, dusting off the shelves as you went. You were just finishing up when suddenly...

''Hey, what the heck?''

Something fell on you. Frightened, you spun around, raising your broom in an attempt to defend yourself. But all that was there looked to be a raggedy purple rug. Confused, you unrolled it. It had a star on the rug, and you weren't sure if you ordered this. You rolled it back up, but something felt wrong. You felt as though someone were watching you, and you weren't liking it.

Thankfully, your shift was over, you could slip back into your suit, and you had stowed the rug in the back of your car, your worries eased. Perhaps the rug could be a gift for your goth-like neice. Who knows? She might like it. After all, you had 8 other brothers, so it was possible.

It was now rainy and gloomy, any trace of the sunny day now gone, so you tried to hurry home. 

There was a traffic jam of some sort on main street, and you were unfortunately caught in it. You were staring at the water droplets race when you saw something. The girl in the angel getup from the book shop was soaked and was trudging somewhere. Curious, you stared at her intently and watched as she turned a street corner and disappeared from your sight. From up ahead, you could see that the traffic jam dissapated and the line was moving smoothly once more. After the last car had started driving, you turned and decided to follow that girl. Sure, it may be stalking, but that girl made you uneasy. You drove in the general direction of where you thought that girl went, and before long, you hit a dead end.

''Cripes.'' You muttered, looking to back your car up, but something caught your eye.
It was a patch of pavement, more dry than a camels backside and somehow untouched by the rain. Curious, you got out and pulled on your trench coat. You walked up slowly to the dry pavement and stepped into the area.
The air around the dry pavement was warm, and any raindrops that fell upon the dry ground instantly steamed up, leaving a small puff. Perhaps something below the ground was heating the ground up. Perhaps a pipe ran beneath it. Pondering this, you knelt down on the ground and looked closer. Suddenly, you could feel a wave of nausa pass over you, and you felt stretched and thin. These feelings continued, and you quickly got up from the ground. But somehow, the color of the pavement had changed, from a dull dirty gray to a fine blood red. Confused, you looked around. Your landscape had completely changed. Gone were the roads and the rain. Gone were the convenience stores and the dreary buildings. There were only hills upon hills of the same blood red sand beneath your feet.

Panicky, you looked all around you, looking left and right. You noticed a city with a castle overlooking it, the walls a deep obsidian black. Scratching your head, you began walking in that direction, but then, out of nowhere:

''AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGH!''

Something fell on top of you, knocking you flat on your posterior, or rather someone.

He was a large man in a white suit with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, a pair of sunglasses on his face, and some nice dress pants and shoes, overall, his fashion choice was not too different then yours, your suit merely being a different color then his.

The man got up, quickly applogizing to you and lendding you a hand. You took it, and he helped you up.

''Sorry about that, Mister.'' He said to you. ''I hope nothing's broken?''

You shook your head. ''That's quite alright, I don't think anything's broken.''
You dusted yourself off. ''Say, where do you suppose we are?''

The large man looked around the two of you and merely said:
''Well, if I did things right, I should be in hell.''

You laughed. ''I'm sorry, pal, but you got to be joking, right?'' 

The man looked at you, confused. ''No, why would I lie about that?''

''You mean....''
You gazed up at the sky, nothing could be seen in the pitch black horizon, and you looked about yourself for the umpteenth time.

''The pair of us are in the literal underworld?!?''