6

Wilhelmina's POV

I woke up a crying mess, the memories dancing around me in a black, daunting cloud of fluids. A kiss, a smile and a heart break.

I felt a pull- an inhumane urge to follow an invisible line, as if I were hooked and my senses had been bait. I wasn't sure what time it was but I could hear people sleeping, so I figured I'd be fine.

I crept silently along the narrow corridors, tapping into a few empty dreams on my way, before stopping outside a room, which I was certain belonged to y/n.

I could sense restlessness from behind the door, as my fingers wrapped themselves around the handle, before I pressed my weight against the solid wood and pushed it open.

There she laid, shaking slightly, as quiet cries came from her. She was facing away from me, but I was aware she knew of my presence.

"Hold me." She whispered, almost inaudibly.

"I don't want to hurt you again."

"Please, just one more night." She breathed out, and my hands moved closer to the edge of the satin covers adorning the bed, before pulling the corner back gently, so my eyes could meet the scars on her back.

"Do they hurt?" I thought aloud, as I didn't want to wrap her in my arms if there was a risk of causing pain again.

"Not anymore." She rolled to face me, holding out her hands to pull me down with her.

Reluctantly, I crawled next to her and snaked my arms around her waist. Her head rested against my chest , and my arms tightened their grip slightly.

"Why did you leave, Libby?" She frowned, playing with the hem of my nightie.

"You know why I left, y/n." I closed my eyes, trying to block out the memories, but they managed to seep into my vision without boundaries anyway.

"You didn't have to. I'd have survived."

A thick silence settled over the room, before I took a deep breath and traced the scars on her back, gently.

"I'd have hurt you so much more, if I'd stayed. You know that."

" I was willing to go through it to be with you."

"I'm not worth it."

Silence.

"I still love you." She whispered into my shoulder.

"I know."

Y/n fell asleep, holding onto me for her life, and I held her back, silencing any bad thoughts that tried to invade her mind.

What if I'd stayed?