10

[two weeks later]

Y/n's POV

It's been two weeks. I thought Libby had left my room to go and get changed or something that morning. But it's been two weeks, with nothing but radio silence.

Every now and then, there's a noise from the surface, a bang or a sound that could only resemble a train passing over a bridge. At first, we all worried it was the end. I worried that Libby couldn't save us and that something had happened. But now I have a feeling that it's to do with the last thing she said to me.

"I'm going to rebuild the earth for you and rearrange the stars so we can have our own little constellation." Is what she'd said that morning, which was adorable and all, but I didn't think she was serious!

I was sat alone in my office, nursing a cold cup of coffee, as I filled out my weekly report on the outpost, before I heard it; an awful crashing noise from the main hall, followed by screams.

I stood up in a hurry, knocking over my drink, before running down to see the problem and what I saw terrified me. A gaping hole in the ceiling, so the stars on the outside were visible. As scared as I was, I couldn't help but look up at them. I would surely die now, and what better thing to see last, rather than the same stars I used to point to with Libby curled up to me on our roof.

"It's OK!" A familiar voice called out, as rigid ladders rolled down into the bunker from above.

The silence took over. Gentle breeze washed over us from the night, causing a few people to shiver.

"The winter is over, you're free to live!" She shouted down, "Just trust me and come up, it's a lovely night."

And slowly, very slowly, people took to the ladders, climbing out of the bunker and being helped onto the land by, who I could only assume, Libby. Once everyone had crawled out, I stood looking up, still focusing on the stars above me.

"You can come out too,  you know?" She whispered in my ear from behind me, looping her arms around my torso, "I doubt you want to spend forever down here."

I turned in her embrace, and locked my lips with hers, feeling a sense of contentment rush over me, as I melted into her strange temperature.

"You changed the stars?" I looked up at them, and noticed a new constellation, shaped as a small heart between (your star sign) and Scorpio.

"I said I would, didn't I?" She giggled softly.

"You remembered the star signs." I smiled up at the heart and pulled her closer.

"You're a good teacher."

We stood together in the silence for a few moments, before she took my hand and guided me towards the ladder and then out of the hole in the ground.

"I built us a home," she said gently, as if worried of rejection, and pointed towards the horizon, where a little cottage sat between the trees of a forest, as if worried of rejection.

"Then let's go!" I laughed and started pulling her to the structure.

"I LOVE YOU!" She yelled after me, as we kept running.

"I LOVE YOU TOO!"

And from that moment on, I knew I would never let go again, even if it meant changing the stars to do so.