BIRTH OF A CHAMPION

Challenge No.23 - Write What You Know.

Begin with something familiar from your own life—such as a past event, something you know how to do, a character inspired by someone you know, or a place from your life—and put it in a fictionalized scene or story.

-----

'Change is good. Change is good. Change is good.' September Gale kept telling herself as she approached her editor's office. 'Change is good. Change is good. Change is good.'

"Change is good." She muttered as she entered.

"I'm glad you think so." Marcus chuckled.

"Hi. Marcus. Sorry, just talking to myself." She dropped into the opposite chair.

"I can see why." He tapped the pile of paper. "This is quite a dramatic departure for you."

"Between Fletcher on one side constantly on my case to write something for our kids and you on the other urging me to expand and explore... I surrendered." She admitted.

"Suffice it to say, I agree with your husband. Great minds think alike and all that."

"Fools seldom differ." She retorted.

"Interesting departure from your norm that's for sure. How'd you come up with the story?"

"I saw an advertisement for a creative writing course funded by the Government of Canada and conducted by the University of the West Indies – Open Campus. The course had three components: Prose, Poetry and Plays. So, I signed up."

"That must have been interesting." Marcus was droll.

"And then some. I walked into the class and the celebrity thing unfolded. But it was a small class, five women, including me, so thankfully the star shine faded and we got down to work."

"So, what happened? I mean what happened to get you to produce this new piece?"

"I had to go to Haïti."

"Haïti?" That surprised him.

"Yes. You sent me on some book tour."

"Oh yeah. I forgot. So many authors to deal with... go on."

"The campus Director agreed to no penalties on condition I got my assignment done. So off I went."

"The timing was hard because we'd just been given our first assignment. To write a story. But I had to go. So, one night I'm in the hotel at the bar, just hanging around with my glass of wine. Wracking my brain on what to come up with."

"I hear two people talking about the hurricane season and how Haïti always seemed to get hit. I think... Mmmmm. But what do I call this character? In front of me on the counter is a bowl of peanuts. My 'ah ha' moment."

"Hence Peanut and the Storm, a story that explains to young children how to prepare for a storm," Marcus added.

"Yes. As a result of that assignment, I was inspired to write a second story, again targeting young readers. This one is called Peanut's Family Tree and is designed to explain to children the concepts of reparations and repatriations. I have offered it to the Saint Lucia's National Reparations Committee and they have accepted it."

"You've been busy," Marcus said.

"I'm always busy. Just like the Mangoville stories, I can see Peanut, her family and friends having lots of adventures." September projected.

"Well! All I can say is that it looks like a champion was born in Haïti."

© 23 March 2022

US Copyright Registration No. TXu 2-133-118

===

The Peanut Tales are available at https://www.amazon.com/author/dawnnbooks

Longer flash fiction stories are hosted at https://www.patreon.com/dawnnbooks