MANGOVILLE GHOST

Challenge No.29 - Letters from Summer Camp.

Imagine your character is a child or camp counsellor at a summer camp that is the setting of a horror-comedy movie. Write a letter home to family or friends from your character's perspective, telling your family about the strange happenings at camp.

-----

It had been three days of perfect peace, stupendous silence, consummate calm and it had been too good to be true. Eleven-year-old Eli the noise machine had gone off to summer camp somewhere up in the hills of Anse la Raye and his mother, Norma had been basking in the golden silence, savouring every moment.

It had been too good to be true.

On the fourth day, Norma's phone exploded with a cacophony of notifications.

'DING - DING - DING'

At first, she ignored it. If it was urgent the person would call. But it didn't seem to have an end.

'DING - DING - DING'

Now Norma was worried. She reached for the phone. A series of photos punctuated with text tumbled out from her son. Text messages do not carry tone, but this one did. His excitement was palatable.

Norma had to save the messages and rearrange the order for it to make any sense. Once that was done, she read it

MUM!

Camp is great!

I'm having lots of fun!

We're doing lots of things. Did you know there was an old sugar mill in Anse la Raye*? Well, there is and we went to see it. It's so cool! But it was sad too because this is where the enslaved people were forced to work.

Did you know that Anse la Raye means the bay of the skate because raye is the French word for the fish called skate and when they came they found lots. I didn't know that... did you?

Anyway...

GUESS WHAT!

They're making a movie in the forest next to us!

Mum the movie is the Ghost of Mangoville! One of my favourite books!

It's about a detective on the Mangoville police force who was killed and he came back to investigate and solve his own murder! How cool is that!

OMG, I saw September Gale!

Did you know that she wrote the Ghost of Mangoville!!! I thought I'd die! She wrote lots of other stories. I wonder if they'll make them into movies too.

She's smaller than I thought. But I don't care, her books are great!! I'm gonna try to get her autograph on my tee-shirt because I don't have any of my Mangoville books with me.

OMG - OMG - OMG

Today September Gale came into our camp to ask if we'd like to be in the movie. Just to be in the crowd. They call us extras.

Of course, I said YES --- Duh!

MUM I'M GONNA BE IN THE MOVIE!!

I'M GONNA BE A STAR!!!!

TTYL

© 29 March 2022

* True information

===

September Gale appears in the story LOVE GROWS available at https://www.patreon.com/dawnnbooks