FOUR

The train ride to the Manor opened the door to conversation, but as quickly as the invite came. The court of six and I struggled to figure out if the royal Hound could be trusted. I let Holstein be in charge for our trip, since it's been his job for the last century to keep the peace. My mind had been racing with worry the second we stepped on the train. Between memories of the past and my fear that this will all jeopardize my plan to take Alex's throne. "So when we arrive to the manor, we need everyone to remain as neutral as possible." Neutral as in all known hatred for the Vampires or for the Keepers. With Natalia still alive we didn't know where she had ears listening in. "We don't know where they'll be standing, so we need to be prepared for the worse." He told our group, they all nodded in unison as my eyes watched my reflection in the glass.

I had grown to miss the bright blue hue they always glowed when Ithe was present in my body. My natural brown now gone and all I could see was the disastrous red. That color had quickly become the color I hated the most. My mind was caught with things I wanted and the thing I needed to do. I wanted all of this to end. For Alex to step down from his throne so I wouldn't have to kill him- for the Keepers to accept my reign and to leave all monsters alike alone.

But the true weight of my desires started with Natalia, I wanted her dead. Immediately.

Kazimir sat across from me on the train, his black hair tied back behind his head as he watched me. I was surprised when he was so accepting on joining us at the manor. Even within my desire I wondered what it was Kazimir wanted from me. He seemed no more than a loyal dog, he was there for me nearing my last breath. However, he quickly gave me to Alex when I was dying. I didn't understand him, "What's going through your mind luchik?" He seemed to notice my wandering stare, luchik he called me. I hadn't known what the nickname meant, but I never asked- afraid someone might ruin it for me.

"What if they don't accept me as their sovereign? Witches are nomads they cannot be ruled over." I decided to ease up.

The court of six were the only people in the world who could ease me, I grew afraid of who to trust. However, from my time with Ithe I've grown to know that everyone on this trip with me are devoted to their cause. "You aren't taking anything from them, you're giving them a glimmer of freedom." Kazimir told me, his foot slowly sliding to touch me. I've come to realize he didn't care how but he wanted to feel connected to me. "As long as you prove that you deserve it, there will be no conflict." Then Kazimir added, his voice cold that time making me confused. The tension he caused made him stand up and nod off, "I'm going see how much longer we have." He told me, then quickly leaving the court of six alone.

I put my hand up as everyone watched me, magic entwining between my fingers. "Cono silentii." The air drew thick as I leaned back into my chair. Crossing my arms as Amelia watched me. "Do you think we can trust him?" I asked my council, they all remarked around themselves.

Amelia started off, I've noticed that she likes to have her voice heard. Always the first and last one to speak, "I think we can, the hound hasn't chosen a side but by his actions I think it's clear." She told me, Amelia's intuition was remarkable and so was her power. Unlike the auras surrounding her, hers was brighter than the sun.

Then the next sound came from Jean, "He doesn't like King Alexandur that's clear." King Alexandur. I hated the way that sounded, in my own head I was as selfish as I could be.

Kate rolled her eyes, leaning against Holstein as my peacemaker held her close. This relationship was sold, I've never seen either person more in love before until now. "No one likes him, that's nothing new." Kate hasn't liked Alex since she found out about him feeding off of me, I should have listened to her. I should have known better. "I say we give the Hound a chance." Kate said but imagining Kazimir as the Hound made something inside of my heart hurt.