Dex

The past couple days have been hectic. Dex was alternating between visits to Everglen, talking to Biana, who he could tell wasn't doing as good as she let on, and Fitz, who was one heck of an emotional mess. Half the time he couldn't even talk to him cause Fitz would lock his door. The other half of his time was spent coordinating with Marella, who had surprisingly taken on the job of the leader of the group while Sophie locked herself in her room. Dex knew something was going on with Tam and Linh because he would invite them over to Everglen, but almost as if they were coordinating, they never showed up on the same day. Dex knew he shouldn't pry, but he was worried for them. They had always been secluded, but at least they'd had each other. On top of them being twins, Dex could see that they were each other's best friends.

And he knew first-hand how hard it was to be separated from a best friend.

He hailed Marella at 9 (god knew that girl was always awake), got Sophie updates, brushed his teeth, and went to go fall asleep as fast as he could.

Because the alternative was something he didn't have time for. So what if the guilt over Rex's ta-(Don't say the word, don't say the word)... Ability problems had his heart in a chokehold? So what if his heart sank to the deepest pits of his stomach when he thought about it? So what if he'd been actively avoiding talking to his younger siblings for days now? So what if he wanted to kill every last person who made 'Dizznee's' comments because their words took on a completely new light? So what if he was dying slowly every night?

Because the moment he actually needs to ignore his problems, all his problems made way for the one thing he didn't want to deal with.

Being busy kept his mind far away from dangerous territory. Just hail Tinker if he can't keep himself busy enough. She doesn't work into the wee hours of dawn, however, meaning if he can't talk to Marella, Dex is doomed to have to deal with his emotions because Tinker decided to ban him from working on his creations.

"You aren't ready" she'd said "You need a break"

Dex was dang ready to punch something. But heavens forbid he do something like that because his friends needed him.

There was basically nothing for him to do at this point. All it was is him trying to avoid the triplets at every cost.

Well, tonight wasn't much different than the past couple days. The exhaustion, the want to sleep, the sudden short-term insomnia, the treacherous thoughts, stuff like that.

Well, today, his thoughts betrayed him(although he had come to expect it).

His mind wandered over to his siblings. The three of them were as tight-knit as ever, maybe even more so. They avoided him too, and although Dex chalked it up to the pranks they'd been playing on him nonstop, Dex didn't think so anymore. In fact, it seemed more like they were mad at him. 

He hadn't played any pranks on them, but he supposed the only way they'll forgive him was to say sorry, and he needed them to forgive him, if not for the fact that they were his friends(Best friends was a spot reserved for people who don't prank me), for the fact that he needed to act like everything was fine, and Normal Dex was a softie.

Dex hated Normal Dex.

God, I need a sleepover with the triplets right now

The thought was so out of the blue that it made him shoot up. He backed up to lean on his backboard.

No, I don't have time for these thoughts.

It was what he'd convinced himself before, but he couldn't now. A week of pushing his emotions to the very bottom of his heart, and it would only get worse from here.

Subject change. I need a subject change.

Come on...

DANGIT!

Dex was done with sweeping his emotions under the rug.

What he did next, though, was completely unexpected.

He hailed his friends.