3AM

this feels weird. different. but definitely good. the feeling of putting a label on my feelings lifts a weight off my shoulders that i didn't know was there.

and the feeling of being able to get it off my chest and actually tell my friends felt even better.

teasing and jokes filled the rest of the night, until my 3 friends decide that they should get going. as soon as i saw them leave, i ran to my phone.

Mute Boy 🤐 8:16 pm
yo if you wanna vc or something i'm free. Dream just left to help george with something

Mute Boy 🤐 8:16 pm
they're probably off fucking or something idk

Y/n ☀️ 10:26 pm
hey! sorry, Remi Macey and Eva just left but if your offer still stands i'd be happy to vc with you?

Mute Boy 🤐 10:28 pm
unfortunately my pc woke up and chose to be a dick so that won't work but maybe i could facetime you like i did last time?

Y/n ☀️ 10:28 pm
works for me :)

*incoming facetime call from:
Mute Boy 🤐*

smiling, i answer the phone. i like this new form of communication.

———————————————————————
'this means what Callahan writes on paper'
"this is what y/n is saying
———————————————————————

'hi y/n :)'
"hey Cal!"

A/n: i love it when i'm talking to someone and they say my name in that sentence. the bar is on the fucking floor

about an hour passes, full of talking, meaningless topics, and countless pieces of used paper.

Callahan had gotten distracted with doodling on the corner of the paper, so i've been trying to give him art tips for the past 45 minutes.

"you're definitely getting closer, maybe try more shading?"
*scribble, scribble, scribble*
"hmm. something is missing but i can't tell what"

callahan writes out a quick 'one second' then his hands leave the frame. he comes back a moment later with some coloured pencils, and a glass of water.

we've been trying to draw a snake for at least half an hour. or at least Callahan is drawing it and i'm giving directions.

i cant say i'm an artist in any way, but i used to doodle in every single class i had for 11 of the 12 years. it gives you experience which's makes you better.

Callahan starts adding color, trying his best to shade with the colourful pencils, but it doesn't quite work.

"try using the side of the led instead of the tip"
he does just that, making it easier to blend.

"add blue undertones," i suggest.
Cal moved his hand from the coloured pencil to his black pen.

'blue on a yellow snake?'

"yeah! it makes it more realistic. kinda like reds and yellows look good in a portrait drawing"

a simple thumbs up from callahan was all i got, as he picked up the blue led, and added small strokes of it.

about an hour of various drawings, and Callahan was getting better at drawing, but it wasn't great. he had finished the snake a while ago but it didn't quite look how either of us had envisioned.

'dude face it, i can't draw'
"i wouldn't say you CANT draw.."
'i would!'
"i think you're just too stiff. try and loosen up"
'and how do i do that?'
"i dunno, you just-.. ugh it's hard to explain with words"
'then show me'
".. what?"
'get paper and show me how to do it'
"i think that would just be boring for you though"
'i could literally be having a conversation with you about turnip or some shit and still be having the time of my life'
"aw that's actually really swe-.. wait.." i start to lightly chuckle, "where'd turnip come from? of all things why turnip?"

Callahan chuckles, letting me hear a certain tone to his voice. my heart stops, as he lifts a hand away from frame, and the chuckles become muffled.

hearing even a slight bit of his voice made my heart beat faster. it was something so small but so unexpected that i didn't notice i had stopped talking

'you ok?'
hearing the scribbling of his pen against the paper snapped me out of my thoughts as i read it.

"yeah no i'm fine. hang on let me go get some paper and a pencil"

he scribbles a quick 'ok' and i stand up.

surprisingly, finding paper in my house is difficult. after about 10-15 minutes, i grab it and walk back to my phone, which is still pointed at the ceiling. i see a bunch of tiny and random doodles scattered all over his paper. some are big and some are small but all of them are very pretty. they were far from perfect but that's what made them unique.
they ranged from little smiles to roses. all in black pen. it looked neat and untidy at the same time, giving a home-y sense. they were beautiful.

"wow," i manage to say in almost a whisper, "those are so beautiful"

Callahan seems dismissive of his drawings, almost like he didn't want to draw attention to himself. instead he shifts the topic to me.

'so how to i "loosen up" my hands?'

i place the paper down, and put my phone on an angle so you can see me, and the paper.

i lower my head to get a better view of my paper and drawings, bringing my pencil to the paper.

i start loosely drawing curved lines, connecting them to look like a snake. i start using the side of the led to soften the lines and make it less defined. i totally forget that Callahan is eve. watching me, and get lost in the art.

A/n: yeah yeah it's cliche just go with it

a loose hair falls from behind my ear, but i can't be bothered to put it back. i keep mindlessly sketching, letting my hands take over instead of my head.

before i realize it, it's done. it looks pretty damn good if i do say so myself. which- i do.

i slightly jump when i hear scribbling from my phone. i totally forgot i was on facetime.

'what the fuck that's so good!'

i smile, starting to feel warm.

"thanks" i mutter

my eyes wander to the time on my phone.

2:56 am

"yo it's almost 3 am"
'actually?'
"yeah!"
'welp. my sleep schedule is gonna be fucked'
"mine already is. i'm probably gonna go to bed now"
'ok. sleep well :)'
"thanks. you too," i smile, as tbe call disconnects.

i cant explain how amazing it feels to write this again dude this is so sick