The Trade

“You know I would never cheat on you, right?”

“What? Ron, why would you ask me that?”

“I just need you to know that. Please know that.”

“Okay. I know that, but why? Why do you even have to say that?”

“Hermione, I haven’t-”

The wards around the house chimed, notifying the couple that a visitor was approaching. Hermione stood to see who it was and became immediately startled by the aggressive banging on the door. She undid the locks and swung the door halfway and saw Draco Malfoy as she had never seen him before. His hair was unkempt, his clothes untidy. It was more than a little off-putting.

“Malfoy, what are you doing here?”

His words were growled through his clenched jaw when he spoke. “I’m here to talk to your doting husband.”

“What?” This was turning out to be one of the strangest days of her life. Hermione woke up and dressed to have a relaxing day with her husband, as it was one of the few in recent years that they not only didn’t have the kids around but also didn’t have to work. She was excited to reconnect with Ron, but then he began an unusual and unsettling conversation, only to be interrupted by a disheveled Malfoy at her door. “Why would you need to talk-” Her question was interrupted when the door she was holding was pulled out of her grasp. Ron stood behind his wife with an annoyed yet understanding expression upon his face. “Ron! What is happening?”

“Hermione, can you go inside? We’ll finish our conversation after.”

“No, this pertains to her as well, doesn’t it?”

“Don’t! Leave her out of this, Malfoy. I haven’t-”

“I mean, maybe I should go get Astoria and we can all sit down and-”

“Malfoy, stop it!” Ron demanded, sounding both frustrated and worried. “She doesn’t know.”

“Am I supposed to care? You’ve ruined everything! I don’t even know how or why, but you have.”

“We didn’t mean to.” Hermione was surprised to hear a hint of sorrow in Ron’s voice. Whatever was happening, whatever it was that he had done, he felt bad about it.

“You have your own beautiful wife, Weasley! Why must you insist on taking mine?”

“Malfoy, I didn’t mean for this to happen. Neither of us did.”

“For what to happen? Ronald, what is going on?”

“Yes, Ronald. Tell her! No need to worry, Weasel, it feels great having your heart ripped out and handed back with-”

“Oh, lay off it, Malfoy. You were in an arranged marriage, it’s not like you actually loved her.”

“Not when we got married,” his voice was suddening quieter, but it was dark and full of pain. “But she is the mother of my child! We have been through a lot together, feelings are known to develop over time. Apparently they fade away as well, in your case.”

“Ron?” Her voice was wavering. She looked up at him with tears in her eyes, pleading with him to say it wasn’t so. She was shaking her head in disbelief.

“Hermione. I-” He wasn’t looking at her, but she could see the shame in his eyes. “I love you, I do. You know I do, but you have to admit, things aren’t the same.”

“I mean, yea, it’s different than when we started dating. I guess between the kids and work, we haven’t had much time for ‘us’ but, but I thought with the two of them at school now and, and now that you left the auror department to help George, you won’t have away missions. I, I I-” He grabbed both of her hands and took a big breath, motioning for her to do the same. She closed her eyes and took a calming breath. “I thought we would be able to reconnect. I’m sorry if I haven’t paid enough att-”