I Still Hate You (Smut)

It had been unusually hot in London, but it was even worse inside the train as they rode to Scotland. Despite the breeze coming in from the open windows, the air was thick and uncomfortable, causing the young woman to sweat as she walked back to her compartment after changing into her school uniform.

This wasn't the first time Hermione had been on the train without her boys, but it would be the first time she attended school without them. They wouldn't be there when she arrived, they wouldn't show up after the feast because they were detained for flying a car into a tree. No, they were in London, deep underground, training to be Aurors. She still had friends with her, Ginny, Luna, Neville, but it wouldn't be the same. Not without Harry and Ron. Perhaps it would be for the better. No more distractions. No more danger. No more cheating off of her homework. Yes, perhaps this year is exactly what she would need after everything she had suffered. A calm year dedicated to learning, reading new books, enjoying a touch of solitude in the prefect's bathroom and -

"Watch where you're going, Granger."

Draco Malfoy.

Of course, Draco Malfoy would come back for their final year. She thought things might have changed, considering the fact that they had fought a war recently and she was vital in keeping him out of Azkaban. That didn't seem to be the case though, as they were already falling back into old habits. Their arguments weren't even about anything in particular, they were petty and juvenile, but neither one could stop themselves it seemed.

What made it all the more pointless was that their tired insults barely hit the mark anymore, hardly phasing the other. He hadn't called her that dreadful name, not in years. He must have noticed her lack of reaction sometime fourth year because it stopped hurting as much and he stopped saying it as often, eventually opting to not say it at all. Whenever they did squabble, the banter started off somewhat creative and slowly devolved as they became more heated. With the temperature what it was, the spat escalated quicker than normal. He called her a sanctimonious, opportunistic priss, and she called him a pusillanimous suckling. She was pompous, he was obsequious. He called her a ninny, and she called him a pillock. Then it was a daft cow and wanker, and so on they went until one of them, and it would be difficult to say who, regressed back through the most childish of barriers and defaulted to a lame and hopelessly ineffective 'I hate you'. As if the other would care, because as it turned out, they both hated each other. With a great deal of passion. They were going back and forth, declaring their unending, unrelenting hatred for each other as if it were a competition, when Hermione's dam of self-restraint broke and she pushed him against the wall, pointed her finger in his face and called him a "poncy-ass, ferret-faced cockroach."

He grabbed her wrist and pulled her into him. "How dare you speak to me like that!" His face was enraged. She could see the burning in his eyes, but the fire was different than in any other fight they ever had. As the train curved around a bend, the patrons swayed and Hermione was pressed up firmer against Draco's body. His hand gripped her hip at the sudden movement. He heard her gasp and readied himself for a curse or another punch to the face, but neither came.

"What are you going to do about it, Malfoy?" She taunted him playfully, "tell daddy how the muggleborn was mean to you again?"

He looked down the hallway and smirked when he saw no one was there to witness their exchange. He shoved the door open behind him and swung them around, tossing her inside.

"I don't need my father to fight any of my battles, and I certainly would not want him to be a part of this one," he said as he loosened his tie. He took a step deeper into the compartment and she automatically stepped back. "No, I think I will rather enjoy this."

"What is that supposed to mean?" She didn't want it to show, but she was growing more nervous. They had never really been alone before.

"It means, things are starting to heat up but I don't think we're fighting anymore."