o: THE BURNING SKIES

prologue.

c. year 835

An engulfing inferno — tangerine and scarlet tendrils wrapping around walls and banisters

An engulfing inferno — tangerine and scarlet tendrils wrapping around walls and banisters. It was a scene not meant to be admired despite sharing the same palette as the setting sun. Sparks flew as pillars toppled down like the dynasty residing in the Victorian house. Torches lit up the dusky sky, another rain of fire coming down onto the woodwork that was home to three children with separate dreams. Laughter morphed into screams of terror. Dreams turned into a paralysis demon creeping around the corner. Orders were thrown to uniformed men, time ticking by until every crevice of the house became black snow fluttering against the wind.

A man with deep lines embedded on his face scowled. His back was straight and ramrod, proudly showcasing his position as the commander of this group of men. He watched the breaking house with a grim expression, transparent hatred in his eyes, and hand crumpling the document in his hand. His scowl made way for a sneer, "Burn everything to the ground! Make sure no one survives!"

"Yes, sir!"

The man spat, "They think they can hide, huh? These motherfuckers — parasites. They should've been dead a long time ago, along with those Ackermans."

Hooves pounded on the dirt. Pants created puffs of moisture in the air. Scarlet zipped by the countryside plains. A green cloak of wings billowed through the wind torrents.

A young soldier frantically made a salute — a fist on his heart. "Sir, we're missing someone."

The commanding officer felt the air run cold. His eyes widened a fraction. "What?"

The horse showed no signs of slowing down.

"Vee, you're going too fast!"

In an impossible feat, the person named Vee veered their horse to defy the laws of nature and almost flew towards the burning estate. It was but a minuscule blob of orange paints on the countryside's canvas and yet it ignited something primal within them. Words weren't replied to the person riding behind but Vee's silence was enough to let the others know this growing loathing ran deeper than their anger for the humanoid man-eating monsters outside the walls. Silent glances were exchanged by Vee's companions and they could only increase their speed to catch up to the fastest soldier known to man, whether it be soaring through the air or galloping by horse.

"Who are we missing?" The commanding officer with the darkest heart dangerously drawled.

The younger man avoided the senior's glacial glare. All he could focus on was a toy soldier lying on the grass by his boot. It made bile rise to his throat. He was a murderer. Of an acquaintance's family. There was no going back now. He had to pay the price. "The oldest daughter."

"Damn it!" The one who always examined the pieces on the chessboard bellowed loud and clear at the young soldier, "Find whoever is missing! Bring her here and make her kneel for what her family has done against the crown! Shoot her if you must. We must honor the name of the sacred monarchy who gave us our lands." He nodded at the weapon strapped on the soldier's back. "I expect you to not fail, cadet."