i: A FRIEND

chapter i

840.

The first time Aurora Beauregard made a friend outside of the paintings inside her room was when she was five years old, holding a plate of decadent cookies with a sweet smile on her face.

"Good morning!" She tried to be cheerful, just like her mother said. She remembered her mother telling her that the Jaegers are kind-hearted neighbors that used their amiable personalities to help people out, specifically the head of the family who was the resident doctor of Shiganshina. So, with that in mind, Aurora beamed with truthfulness that warmed the heart of the woman who opened the door for her. "Hello, Mrs. Jaeger. Is Doctor Jaeger around?"

Carla placed a hand on her cheek, a sheen of adoration for the little girl standing in their doorway making a way in her face. She has always been looking forward to meeting the darling daughter of one of the most prevalent names in the Art industry around the walls. However, there wasn't a moment when she saw the girl go out of their house. Maybe Aurora did but Carla could've been doing different things to witness her going out of their garden to chase the butterflies. In fact, this was her first time ever seeing Minerva Beauregard's daughter. The paintings she was featured in didn't do her justice. Her scarlet hair wasn't as vibrant as the paintings, her gold eyes shone much brighter even without the help of the sunshine or artificial lighting, and her doll-like face with a constellation of freckles on her nose bridge was simply adorable.

It was safe to say that Carla's heart was taken away by the sprite-like girl in her doorway.

She composed herself as she answered, "He was called to treat someone in Rose at the moment."

Aurora deflated, her shoulder drooping in disappointment. "Oh." She picked herself up in an instant, lifting the plate of cookies higher. "Well, this gift extends to you, too, Mrs. Jaeger. This is a 'thank you' gift to Doctor Jaeger for curing Mother of her sickness. I hope you enjoy them!"

She was quite proud of making them. It took her a couple of hours to perfect a single cookie but her efforts paid off when she saw how Carla's face brightened at the sight of her masterpieces. It made her confident that she could make more cookies in the future. If it meant people would smile at her creations like that, she wouldn't mind pouring more hours into crafting a bigger cookie.

Carla received the platter. "This is so sweet! We'll be sure to enjoy this, little Aurora! And they look adorable as well." She warmly smiled down at the girl. "Did you make them yourself?"

"Yes, I did, Mrs. Jaeger! I made some animal-shaped ones because Mother told me you have a kid my age."

"Just your luck because he's here right now." The brown-haired woman turned to look behind her, Aurora following the movement. The latter could see a head of brown hair so similar to Carla dart out of view. She blinked curiously and patiently waited for the woman to beckon her child from the kitchen. "Eren! Someone is here to meet you."