xvi: A DAUGHTER'S LONGING

chapter 16

[word count: 4.6k]

[please do comment and vote <33]

Aurora knew Minerva was still inside the Walls

It didn't matter if she didn't see her mother for more than two years, she still held faith that they would reunite once she finished the Training Corps. There was so little information about the whereabouts of the painter but Aurora took that as a form of hope that maybe, just maybe, Minerva was waiting for her in a secluded part of Rose or Sina. It wouldn't be a surprise if the woman bought a house somewhere with all the fortune she received from her commissions. Nevertheless, Aurora wanted to go home to her no matter where their new house was, whether it be in a suburban neighborhood like Trost or a quaint bungalow in the middle of the woods. It would give her peace of mind knowing that the only family she ever knew was alive and well.

Which was why she couldn't understand why Jean acted so strongly on the topic of visiting his mother during their training in Trost.

"That ungrateful bastard," Eren grumbled under his breath.

Mikasa chose to stay quiet; simply walking with a stony expression on her face.

Aurora, on the other hand, thoughtfully stared at Jean. All this time, she sent her letters to Antheia alongside Thomas, thinking that maybe his mother was the Margaret her caretaker was talking about before she left. After Thomas kindly told her that he was living with his father and siblings one day, she recoiled in embarrassment, profusely apologizing for the mistake she was doing without ever consulting the boy. In the end, she kept sending her letters to Thomas, the boy more than willing to do it to this day.

"Jean," she called out, earning disbelieving looks from the others.

Jean whirled his head in her direction. "Y-Yes?"

"Is your mother named Margaret by any chance?"

The boy's face soured a little bit. "Why do you ask, Aurora?"

It seemed like the topic of his family was a sore one for Jean. Aurora blinked at the masked hostility. Her expression pinched in puzzlement. "My caretaker told me to send letters and she instructed that I send them with someone else's — Margaret's son — since he's in the Training Corps as well."

Jean didn't answer. Instead, he went back to facing the front with an even moodier cloud hanging over him.

Aurora's question was left to be pondered.

"What's with him?" Eren came to Aurora's defense. "Dawn asked a decent question."

"Maybe I'll ask another time."

"Still," the boy reasoned.

"Ro, there's a vendor selling pastries," Mikasa interrupted.

"Where?" Aurora looked around and her entire face lit up at the scene of a kind lady working behind a stall of different-colored pastries. "My money should be enough to buy one. How about you, Miki?" Mikasa wordlessly nodded and Aurora took that as a sign to circle her hand around the girl's wrist. "Let's buy one! I hope I can recreate them when I visit Antheia."