viii: WEAR IT - USE IT AS YOUR STRENGTH

chapter 8

[word count: 6.4k words]

[do comment and vote!!!]

For someone who relied on glasses to have perfect vision, Hange Zoe squinted behind their graded goggles against the pounding raindrops that hit their skin like tiny drums

Nature was always an unpredictable thing. Right when Hange was inwardly boosting their morale by thinking of the smoothness of the return, the storm ruined everything. With clouds as thick as lumps of cotton, there was no way the Survey Corps was going to scout ahead. Unless they were suicidal maniacs without any care for their life. Hange was ambitious and reckless about Titan research, yes, but they were aware if the situation called for a rational standpoint. And this particular one required a sharp mind because who knows how many Titans were lurking behind the thick fog covering any expanse of land Hange could see. As much as it excited them to be within the periphery of such mindless creatures, they felt like something was going to spiral downhill. The least Hange could do was ride on their horse to a straight destination and wish that nobody close to them was in the jaws of a Titan.

"Squad Leader Zoe!" A faint shout coming from behind them mixed with the thunderous rain. "W-What are we going to do?"

"Shit," Hange murmured under their breath. At this rate, soldiers would be terrified. Death was right around the corner and He was relishing in the stench of human blood perforating with the petrichor. They could imagine their squad members shivering in both the cold and fear. Hell, their hands were trembling around the reins, too. Hange raised their voice so that it could be carried by the wind. "We continue to ride forward! Stay within this formation and no matter what you do, do not think about engaging with a Titan in this fog."

"Are we going to light a flare, Hange-san?" Moblit asked beside them.

"No," was Hange's resolute answer. "Save them. A storm will eventually pass." They looked up at the darkening sky, water dripping to the sides of their goggles. "We'll need that when we get back and the weather is clear enough for the smoke to appear."

"Yes, sir!"

For once in their life, Hange felt extreme worry for their spitfire best friend. No matter how many times they told themself that Maeve was the strongest soldier they know to date, there was this impending and inevitable dread pooling in their stomach. It was creating an abysmal pit that was making Hange's head pound as if a hammer was drilling a nail into their temple. They witnessed how she took Titan after Titan in numerous expeditions. They saw how she bested men in the military; putting them in their place when they were too touchy or degrading around her. Hange saw how fast she was. So many times. Surely Maeve would be able to avoid any encounters. She was unshakeable so why was Hange worrying like crazy on their horse?

"Squad Leader!"

Hange's reverie stopped. They turned to Moblit, who was staring straight ahead with furrowed eyebrows. Hange wondered what he saw up ahead for him to look so stricken.