Ch 6: Misery Loves Company

"Speed dating was exhausting! I can't go on a blind date tonight. I'm too tired."

"Sang! Get your skinny butt into the shower and get ready for tonight! I already set up the date you can't bail!"

"Where did you find this guy anyway?"

"Craigslist.", Karen deadpans.

"WHAT!?!?!?"

Then she starts laughing and slapping her knee like my horrified reaction was funny! "Sang you should have seen your face! You turned white as ghost! Relax, I did not set you up with some random dude off Craigslist...." I start to relax until she says, "...but I did find him through Craigslist."

I'm silent. I just can't respond to the information she just gave me. She didn't set me up with someone off Craigslist, but she knows the guy by finding him on Craigslist?? That makes no sense!

"Karen, explain please."

"Remember when my car just went kaput on the side of the road last month?"

I nod and circle my hand to indicate I remember and she should tell the story faster.

"Okay so I bought a used car off Craigslist and the guy I bought it from works at a garage. I set you up with him!"

I take a moment to process the information. She met my blind date off Craigslist, but not through one of those creepy ads. Makes more sense now. I guess it will be okay. I know Karen would never put my life in jeopardy.

"You should have just told me that from the beginning instead of trying to get a kick out of giving me a heart attack!", I smile at Karen and laugh a little at the memory of five minutes ago. I guess it was funny, just not funny at the time. I turn towards the hall and head to the bathroom to get ready.

After showering and changing into the date approved attire Karen set out for me I wait in the living room for my date to arrive. Karen told me more about the handsome mechanic and now I'm actually a little nervous. Karen says he's a 'bad boy'. I've never gone out with one of those so I don't know what to expect. I think I'll have a small drink to calm my nerves before he gets here.

One drink turned into three and I'm finally starting to relax. The buzzer for our apartment rings and Karen gets to the intercom before me.

"Hello?"

"Yeah, I'm here for the blind date."

"Secret password so I know you're not some stranger trying to kidnap my roommate?"

"I'm not saying the fucking password!"

"You must be an axe murderer then. I thought you wanted to go out with Sang?"