Chapter 1 - Fokus/Focus

I can do this.

I count to 3 and inhale. I count to 3 and exhale. I interlink both of my hands together to form combined fists, sticking my index and ring fingers out. I finally close my eyes.

Kosongkan hati, kosongkan minda. Tanpa penggangguan, mustahil untuk diganggu. Dengan ketenangan, datanglah keamanan.

Maka, tercapailah kuasa penuh.

II

Empty the heart, empty the mind. Without disruptions, it is impossible to be disrupted. With tranquility, comes peace.

And so, full power is achieved.

No outside thoughts cloud my perception as I recite my mantra. The only thing in my mind is the raging bonfire in front of me. The surroundings are pitch-black. I cannot smell, feel nor hear. I see it burning and flailing around in the wind, threatening to burn me if I get too close.

But they aren't hot. No, they are cold. There's no fire in my head. Just a pile of sticks and dry leaves as far as I'm concerned. It's impossible for them to burn me, for they are unlit. I release my concentration and let all my other senses come back to me. Slowly, I open my eyes.

As if it were magic, the fire disappeared and I'm left with the exact image I conjured up. A pile of sticks and dry leaves.

"Ooh, nice one Kiah."

I unlink my hands and shake the soreness out of them. I'll never get used to that odd finger positioning. I turn around to see my good friend Harmony Teng sitting cross-legged on the grass with her chin resting on her knuckles. She's wearing some black shorts that cover all the way to her knees and a purple sports T-shirt with black chevrons. Covering her entire left sleeve are burn marks that tell a more amusing than painful story. Although, I reckon it still stung a fair bit for her.

"What was my time?"

She checks her wristwatch. "28 seconds. 2 seconds faster than last week. Getting better ah?"

A small change to the uninitiated, sure. However, any normal person would have trouble doing a fraction of what I had just done.

Visualising an image of a particular object in their head. Making the object crystal clear down to every detail. Not allowing any other thoughts to get in the way and distract you for half a minute. I didn't even include successfully disappearing fire into thin air using just your mind. You won't be able to do it, unless you possess a gift similar to mine.

"Good. An improvement at least." I sit down and lean my back on Harmony's shoulder. I ruffle her tomboyish black unkempt hair and she puts her arm to the side so that she can support my weight like she always does. We sit in silence for a few moments to admire the view.

Mornings in Malaysia are always great. It rained last night so there were beautiful streams of fog covering up the distant mountains. Sometimes it looked like the mountains had disappeared completely. The air was cool and fresh, the temperature low and the Sun wasn't burning our skin yet.

"You alright there, Kiah? Breathing heavy eh?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Exhausted, la." I check the inai—or henna as most people are familiar with, on my hands. The intricate floral and geometric designs cover my wrists, the back of the hands, the tips of my fingers and fingernails. To think that they were drawn on by a simple henna cone. The red on them's faded to a brownish hue, signifying that's enough practice for today else they'd disappear completely.

 The red on them's faded to a brownish hue, signifying that's enough practice for today else they'd disappear completely

Even though I can't see her, I already know she's smiling.

"It's just fucking amazing how you can do that, you know? Even though I made the fire with my bare hands, a normal person can do that with some fuel and a lighter. Not anyone can do what you just did," she compliments.

"It's a lot harder than you think. Definitely a lot harder than your heat manipulation. Hurts my head a lot if I use it too much," I stop to levitate my water bottle out of my bag and twist open the cap with a flick of my fingers, "but I can't just rely on my telekinesis in the future. I'm not even that good at telekinesis."

She wraps her free arm around my neck and laughs. "You're always self-deprecating like that, Kiah. Focus on the bad things and that's all you're going to see."

"Hm, I guess," I agree half-assedly. I stand up and offer a hand to Harmony. 

"Awalla, we don't wanna be late for breakfast this morning."

__

Awalla: Basically a phrase that means "let's go" or "come on" kinda like the Spanish "vamos"

Inai (EE-nigh): A temporary ink that can be applied to skin, nails and hair