Chapter 2 - JAKIS

We reach the mamak restaurant after a 20 minute walk. A mamak restaurant is basically a restaurant ran by Indian-Muslims. It's always nice having Harmony on our walks since she always has something to talk about. The terrible, racist politicians making fools of themselves in the parliament is the hot topic right now in the news, and she knows all about it. It's impressive how she can fit in an hour's worth of info in a fraction of the time, though I question if some of her descriptions are exaggerations. 

Since it's Malaysian politics, she's probably accurate.

The blue sign hanging above the entrance had 'Nasi Kandar Impian' written on it in blinding white. Don't ask me why they have 'nasi kandar' on their name since everyone goes here for their flatbread instead, not their rice.

We take our seats at an orange plastic table directly underneath the fan. Casey, a friend of ours, told us to meet up and that there's something important we should discuss about in person. He also has special powers like us. Unfortunately, it's not at all related to punctuality.

"Fuck dude, why's he always late?" huffs Harmony.

"Kan..." I take my phone out to check the latest text from him. "He said he's on the way though."

"Dey, he always says that and he'll probably come up with some lame excuse. Like he's washing his hair or kissing the mirror or something."

I couldn't help but blow some air out my nose at her jab. She always has such a way with words. A waiter comes over to receive our order.

"What you getting?" I ask my friend.

Harmony appears to be deep in thought. "Eh, some ghee thosai and coffee I guess." Every time.

"Okay boss, dua thosai ghee, satu kopi, satu barli ais, uhh, tu je."

The waiter walks off without showing any signs of emotion. Not even a notepad was in his hands to write down the orders. We all know he's gonna get it right though, since mamak waiters never get your things wrong. That's kinda their thing.

We sit and wait with our elbows on the table. The place is bustling with conversation of all sorts of languages from all sorts of people, as is the norm. When our food finally arrives, Harmony does her usual ritual.

I watch as she holds her mug of coffee in both of her hands. She goes silent and mumbles a Mandarin incantation. Yellow fluorescent smoke escapes her mouth and surrounds the mug. In an instant, the coffee becomes ice cold to the point that it causes frost to form. Her hands get tinted blue for a moment, but goes back to normal in the next.

"Why do you always do that la? Someone could see us. Plus, it gets diluted and tastes horrible."

"To you, not to me. Plus, it's good heat manipulation practice." I scrunch my face as I watch her drink the cursed beverage. She smacks her lips just to spite me. We dig in and finish our food in a few minutes.

Ah, my inai's coming back on my hand. Never gets old just to stare at its beauty.

"Mampus la, Kiah," interjects Harmony, checking her wristwatch. "Let's just leave. Casey definitely isn't coming." Before I could protest, she goes off to the counter and pays for the both of us. I follow behind her and manage to catch up.

"Hm, maybe his mom's asking for help again like–" A notification rings before I can finish my sentence. I take my phone out and see the messenger. "Huh, panjang umur, it's Casey."

"What does he want now?"

I gasp and she stops walking. 

"Oh..."