Chapter 19

After their ice cream and their walk in the park, Castle asked Johanna to come over for dinner tomorrow night. She agreed and they parted their ways. Johanna took a taxi back to her house while Kate and Rick walked the three blocks back to their loft.

"Your mother is the best mother ever," he said with a mouthful of the last of his ice cream and quickly added, "well, except for my mother, sometimes."

"Yeah, she's great isn't she. I told you she would love you," she smiled up at him.

He smiled back gleefully, "Kate?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you glad that you get to see your mom?" he asked, curious.

She sighed, "Yeah, I am. I'm just scared," she paused, "I don't want her to get old and die. I would go through all that pain again. I just wish that she was here sooner, yah know?"

"Well, we could make a potion to make her live longe- orrrrr we could get a time machine and travel back in time and-"

"Castle," she cut him off and he looked down at her, "please, shut up." he smiled at her and looked ahead, "I just wish I knew she was alive this whole time so I could tell her that Bracken was out away."

"You know, some things are better off not knowing," he said quietly, not wanting to hurt her feelings. "Just think, what if you did know she was alive? What would you have done what you did with Maddox and all those other people? You would've never killed or caught any of them and Johanna would still be in danger. And it wouldn't be safe because if they found out she was alive, they would of killed you Kate. Or your mom and probably would've taken a video of it or force you to watch because that's what those assholes will do. So maybe it was a good thing," she took his hand in hers.

"Yeah, maybe your right," she hated to admit it but he was. Now that she looks back, it is a good reason her mom hid from her all these years. She will just have to make the best of the next fifteen/twenty years.
xxx
"I forgot to ask you, how was your meeting?" Kate asked as they stepped into the loft.

"Ehh, boring old Gina and Paula deciding on whether I should continuer Nikki Heat or not," her head snapped up to him.

"Are you?"

"I don't know. There's really no story anymore," he kicked off his shoes and hung up his coat then walked into the kitchen to pour him and Kate a glass of wine.

She followed him, "Sure there is. You've been making one up for years. How could you run out of ideas, you're Richard Castle?"

"Are you sad?" he turned around after placing the to glasses on the counter and looked at her.

"No, I'm just encouraging you to continue with the series," she tried not to make eye contact because she lied. Of course she is sad. Nikki Heat is like their thing! It makes her feel closer to Rick and she loves reading the romance story between the two characters.

He smirked at her, "You don't want me to stop Nikki Heat do you?"

"What? I never said that," she denied.

"Please Kate, I can tell when your lying. If you want me to continue Nikki Heat I can. Or maybe I could start another series of books? Bring back Derek Storm?"

She slanted her head and squinted at him, "Castle, fine, you're right. I'm sad. I don't want you to stop writing them, I know eventually you will but it makes me feel closer to you. I love reading them because it's basically our life story and," she moved over to where he was standing on the other side of the center island, "I like our story. It makes me happy reading your dedications, honored actually, and the rest of the book. And if you run out of ideas then call me over. We can think of something together," she smiled at him. "Because that's what partners are for."

"Well," he leaned down to kiss her. "If you want me to continue Nikki Heat I will then," he smiled as hers grew bigger. He leaned down to kiss her again, this time letting it linger and nibbling on her bottom lip. "Thanks, for being honest with me." he told her as he pulled away.

"Always," his lips were on hers again. Pushing her back into the counter, his hands on her waist and hers around his neck. The kiss deepened and you could hear a moan from Kate. Oh God did he love it when she moaned.

"Richard, I'm ho-" Martha greeted but then was cut off by her son and daughter-in-law making out in the kitchen. "home."

He pulled away from her, her cheeks red and couldn't keep the smile off her face, "Mother? What are you doing her-" he checked the clock. "Oh, I lost track of time."

"Well no wonder! You're over here making out with Kate!" Martha joked and walked further in the loft with her stuff in tow.

"Hi Martha," Kate greeted, cheeks still pink.

"Hello Katherine. Now where are my hugs?" she smiled.

Rick rolled his eyes, something he's learned from Beckett, and walked over to his mother and gave him a hug. Kate walked over too, giving her a hug.

"Now, how was it with Johanna?" Martha asked.

"It was good, good. She agreed to come over here for dinner," Kate informed the red haired woman.

"Good, good. And Alexis will be back in time?"

"Yeah, she is at a friends house studying until 1ish tomorrow," Castle told her and Martha nodded.

"Okay, cool. Well, I'm going to go upstairs. Let you two love birds be and call me down when your starting dinner." Martha made her way up the stairs. Once she disappeared, Castle turned to Kate and winced.

"Sorry, that was a little awkward, wasn't it?"

"Just a little bit," she told him sarcastically.

"Sorry, let's go drink some wine now," he walked his way over to the two glasses he got out and grabbed the wine that was sitting on top of the fridge. He poured the same amount into each glass and handed her one once he put the bottle back.
{1066 words}

A/N: Oh boy. This fic is almost done. That's good.