Chapter One

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey, guys! So, I haven't updated this story in YEARS and wanted to revise it and make it better for my own sanity and yours... lol.

So, I hope you guys enjoy this new (and hopefully better version of the story) and don't forget to comment and like so I know that you are enjoying this.

Okay, bye guys!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

       Hot tears plopped onto the glass of the wooden picture frame, blurring out the large smile that was etched onto my mother's face. The younger version of my self was clinging onto her hand, a wide-stretched smile also adorning my features. We had gone to the local zoo for my birthday and one of the hired photographers had asked to take our picture. Looking down at the photo, the only one I had of her, made me realize how grateful I was that the man had asked. Now she's just an intangible memory, and who I lived with now is a nightmare. 

       I could hear yelling coming from downstairs, and a whimper from the family dog Hershey. I gritted my teeth in anticipation to what's to come, and without missing a beat my name started echoing throughout the house. I carefully placed the picture frame back into the shoe-box that I've always stored it in and shoved it behind my bed. Getting up, I tip-toed around the stack of clothes on floor and fumbled with the latch that would descend the staircase.

       This was the daily struggle of living in a storage-basement.

        "Taylor! I am not going to repeat myself again; you better get down here right-fucking-now!" Macy's voice was even more thundering with my staircase opened, and it made me freeze momentarily on the last step.

       I jumped off and hurried down the actual staircase and into the living room where she was beet-red and a pile of dog poop was claiming space besides the couch. I knew what she was about to tell me, and even though this was a common occurrence I could feel my hand starting to ball up into fists. "Well?" She asked, annoyance evident in her tone.

       "Well?" I mocked.

       What the hell was I doing? I knew doing anything but politely obeying Macy's orders was a guaranteed beating, but yet here I was, arms crossed against my chest and an eyebrow raised in defiance. Her eyes lowered as she took in my stance, obviously not pleased with my reaction. She cocked her head to the side, trying to figure out how to approach this new rebellion. 

       "Looks like someone finally grew a backbone; which is a shame because if you try to defy me you'll be in a heap of trouble," she snarled, her top lip curling over her teeth like a rabid dog. 

       I've seen pictures of her when she was younger, when years of smoking didn't wrinkle her face and cause premature grey hairs. She was pretty back then, and from what my mom had told me she was also decent to be around. She was never fond of me, though, even before I lived with her. I believed it was because she saw my dead-beat dad in me. I took on his Native American complexion with my copper skin and long, black hair. My mother was fair with porcelain skin and light blue eyes. If I hadn't seen a picture of my dad I would've thought I was adopted. 

       "Can you stop starring at me and clean up the shit?" Macy growled, snapping me out of my thoughts. 

       "Can you obtain any ounce of human decency?" I retorted before I could stop myself.

       Before I was able to backtrack on what I said a calloused hand was smacking me across my right cheek, making me stumble and fall harshly onto the carpeted ground. I raised my hand to my cheek, feeling my skin throb and burn with rushing blood underneath the surface. Well, at least no blood actually leaked this time - she must've not been wearing her rings. 

       "If I come back in thirty minutes and the shit still isn't cleaned up you're not getting dinner tonight," she spat at me, stepping over my limp body and slamming the door to her bedroom closed. 

       I propped myself up into a sitting position, the coffee table supporting my back. A small figure emerged from the hallway off to the left, her wavy brown hair damp from the shower she must've took. I forced a smile at Anna, trying to reassure her that I wasn't in pain and that I wasn't thinking about offing myself. She blinked at me, not at all convinced. 

       She disappeared into the kitchen and I found myself starring at the pile of shit still plaguing the air with a grotesque smell. How did my life come to the point where I was beaten over something that I had nothing to do with? Hershey's head popped out from under the couch from which he was hiding, and his ears lowered as he looked at me. I reached my hand out for him to sniff and eventually he joined me at my side, head resting in my lap. I could never be mad at him for something he couldn't control, it was Macy's fault for never taking him out on regular walks.

       Anna came back out a few minutes later with a plastic bag, paper towels, carpet cleaner, and ice-pack clutched in both her hands. She knew she'd get in trouble if Macy came out and saw her but before the words could even leave my mouth she shoved the ice-pack into my hands and whispered, "I don't care, just shut up and let me help".

       Anna was practically the only friend I had, she knew me better than I think I even knew myself. I was made fun of at school for always showing up to class with bruises and falling apart clothes. Anna always stuck up for me though, always reported someone if they did something to intentionally hurt me. She was my guardian and I'm not sure if she knew that. I watched as she cleaned up the poop and scrubbed at the carpet until the brown spot was no longer there. She left to throw away the soiled contents outside and I finally stood up from my resting position.

      Macy came out of her room before Anna got back inside and looked at the spotless carpet with an irritated sigh - guess she was annoyed that she had to feed me dinner tonight. "Fine, you better be at the kitchen table at 7 p.m sharp," she muttered, returning back to her cave. 

                                                                                             ***

      Later that night after my stomach was full of mediocre dinner I tossed and turn on my mattress that laid directly on the ground. I was anxious about the day and what I had said to Macy. I had no idea where my temper came from and I had no idea why she didn't punish me harder. All the restless energy I felt before falling asleep accumulated in my dreams, causing me to have a vicious nightmare.

       I watched as Macy stalked up to Anna like she was her prey, her hair bristling like she was an angry dog. I was sitting on the couch but unable to move and my screams came out as mere whispers. My cries were strangled as I watched Macy repeatedly hit Anna and Anna had no way of defending herself. I couldn't move, I couldn't scream, I was stuck watching the only person I cared about being beaten into a bloody pulp. Macy face was no longer recognizable, it was distorted into something that hinted at demonic. 

       "You made me do this," her voice came out like thunder, rattling the whole house before approaching me, knuckles split open with all the blows she had already given.

      I shut my eyes, waiting for the final one.

       I woke up in a cold sweat, my limbs were tangled up in my sheets and my jaw ached from how hard I was clenching my teeth. I looked at the time on my phone: 4:08 a.m. Before I set it back down I looked at the date and sudden dread washed over me.

      Tomorrow was the last day of school, meaning I would have to spend the next few months in total confinement of Macy's house. 

       Somebody please help me.