27 - Death Pill?

"I-I-I..." I didn't know what to say. What can I say? I still remembered that moment I saw them ganging up on the kid in the park.

And despite how it actually turned out, I remembered that feeling of powerlessness. That feeling of wanting to do something. Be something other than my usual self.

Be a hero.

And here was a woman telling me I could be that hero.

But at what cost? What will I have to lose?

More importantly, could I even do it?

As short and great as that heroic moment was, it was exactly that.

A very short moment.

A failed moment, I might add.

I am not hero material. I am not a saviour and I could never be one.

I was never cut out to be someone who saved someone. I was always meant to run away, far from danger. That's it. No more than that.

So what if I have the power to save people?

What good is power, what use is it of, if the vessel of that power itself is weak? And that was exactly what I was.

A weak coward.

"I...I don't know what I will do. I only fought because I knew Ritu and she was about to get eaten. I didn't know what I was thinking. It was pure instinct. If such a situation arrives again, I'll...I'll probably run away. I'm not that nice of a person..." Yes, I'm not. Let's be real here. I need to look after myself. "Besides, they're already dead. So what's the harm?"

"I see..." she said.

I don't know what face the Grimmer made.

Was she angry? Annoyed? Sad? Disappointed?

I didn't match her gaze. Didn't dare to look into her eyes and show who I really was.

I heard her let out a sigh followed by a strange sound. Like a bell ring or something.

The Grimmer took out her strange mobile phone and tapped its screen. "Hmm, perfect timing."

Placing her strange device aside, she fished out a strange contained out of her pocket. A small palm-sized cylindrical container that had a peacock design painted over it. Before I could ask what that was, she picked something from inside it and tossed it in my direction,

I barely managed to catch it by instinct. Opening my palms, I saw that something was a square-shaped pill of yellow colour.

"Don't eat that yet. You'll need it in a few minutes," She said, her mischievous smile back on her lips. It was extremely unnerving for me.

For some reason, at that exact moment, my memory of her name cleared up.

Reizumi.

Better remember the name of the woman who would possibly get me killed.

Maybe I'll even find someone who could see ghosts too, like me, and haunt them until they go to the police to report their death—

Oh my god, I'm thinking like ghosts! Wait, is that why they keep bothering me? Complaining stuff to me?

This was not the type of revelation I wanted today.

God, I'm starting to hate this day!

"So, what's this for?" I said, holding up the pill to study it. Was it some sort of drug? A poison pill? It smelled like mango, the artificial kind, the kind that I hated.