33 - Huh, I Really Did It

I did it?

I did it!

"I...I did it," I murmured, staring at my hand now clear of any hard light covering. The Ruh still flew around me, caressing my fists, kissing them with their warm light. As if they wanted me to give them the permission to surround me again.

"Haha, I really did it!" I screamed and jumped, not being able to contain my excitement.

I defeated a Rakshas. By myself. Okay, fine, not by myself. Reizumi did help me.

But, I did land a major blow on it by myself so...

And yeah sure, there was doping involved with that yellow pill I took but hey, still! I'm gonna count that as a good and fair win. It was, afterall, my first time. Officially, my first time.

Quadro doesn't count as official because—A, I did not kill it; and B, I had no idea about any of this.

But yeah, never gonna forget Quadro. It will always live in the memories of my heart. Rest in peace, brother...or sister. Never really got to find out who Quadro actually was.

"I-I-Is it d-dead?" A stuttering scared voice from behind me stopped my celebration and another tangent in my mind.

And when I turned to look back towards the voice, I almost had a heart attack.

I was met with the image of a sickly blind woman with her equally sick son creepily walking towards me. Add that with the broken-down structures and bad lighting, mixed with not yet calmed down adrenaline pumped body, my mind did make me visualise the whole scene as something from a horror movie.

Except, you know, this one was actually scary. Because, damn man, this got my heart pumping and jumping. I'm man enough to admit that I even squeaked. Quite loudly too.

I like to give the movies some benefit of the doubt so I won't say they're bad. They had no idea what the ghosts actually looked like, nor were they aware of their whinny nature.

So, it's just that I'm too used to seeing actual ghosts, that's all.

Not to mention, when all you see them doing is either crying, complaining or staring blankly at anything in their sight; you kinda realise that stuff like the neck turning girls or creepy nuns or flying and jump scaring ghosts were not exactly...real.

And hence, not scary. But still, they're a good form of entertainment. Almost like a parody of real life. For that, A+ for efforts.

But, you know, not gonna lie, some of them do just suck.

"Um, I'm not really sure. This is sort of my first time..." I said looking back at the limp body of the green-skinned beast. I kicked it lightly to see if there was any reaction but the body made no motion. "Well, it seems dead for now, so, um, I guess that's it. Yeah, you're safe now," I looked back at the pair of dead souls and gave them a huge smile.

The son broke off the contact from his mother and came running at me, ending it with a hug and spitting off tons of appreciation towards me.

"Thank you," the mother said softly, staring at me with her clear eyes. I knew from my past experiences that any mortal disability and wounds were carried over as a ghost but I still wondered if she could somehow see me. "May I ask who you are?" the mother asked.

"I am...huh, well, I-I don't...really know," I said as I scratched my head.

What was I?

I mean, I don't think I get to be called a human anymore, atleast not a normal one. And I swear that wasn't my weird ego. No, it's just...well, when you do the things that I did, doubts concerning your humanity do find a way to pop up in your mind.