Chapter 21: Darts and Bullets

I threw myself off the building to dodge the bullet that was supposed to hit me.

"We're not supposed to kill her idiot!" a female voice yelled.

I used my 3DMG to move as fast as I could in between the buildings. Who were those guys? Were they from the Central Division? And what was their special manoeuvre gear?

I quickly glanced behind me. I was being followed by the guy who shot earlier and a blond woman. I accelerated to loose them. My eyes were traveling from left to right, focused. I had to locate the cart Eren and Historia were in. I did not know the gravity of the situation. I needed to think of plan...

I landed on a roof and hid behind a chimney. I did not see any of my comrades. I wondered if Levi and the others were alright.

Suddenly, my instincts alerted me again. I bent down and avoided what seemed to be two red darts. Judging from what I saw and heard earlier, their goal was to capture me, alive. I could turn that to my advantage.

If only I had all six of my knives! I was going to be less effective with the only blade I got. I still could use my swords but that would mean that I should engage a close range combat. But an idea popped into my head: I could throw my swords' blades if necessary.

I had to move if I wanted to escape them. I took out one of my swords and laid a finger on the button that was supposed to realise the blade, ready to press it. The male opponent got out of his hiding and pointed his guns at me. I swung my arm and released my blade. It flew straight into his chest and his body fell from the roof. His partner did not even had the time to process my action that I was already gone.

I rapidly ran and jumped from one rooftop to another. I avoided other darts. The blond woman had endurance and was fast too. I used the same technique as before but she dodged my blade. However, my action slowed her down and I managed to loose her.

Then, I finally saw the cart I was searching for. Both Eren and Historia were laid down, asleep. So that was what the red darts did. I gasped when I saw Levi a few metres below me. He had blood on his face. I gritted my teeth, furious. How dared they hurt him...

Another man was aiming at my captain. I threw myself onto him and cut his throat. Levi looked up and his eyes widened when he saw me. I nodded to assure him that I was fine.

Then, I went for the conductor of the cart, who probably killed Keiji. I landed on her, slashed her throat and kicked her body off. I took control of the reins and glanced at the two sleeping teenagers. They seemed to be fine.

Other opponents tried to get to us but the members of my squad came to the rescue. However, one person got through: the blond woman. She landed behind me and pulled me by my hair. I grabbed her hand and squeezed it hard enough to almost break her fingers. She let go of me. I promptly got up and faced her.

The cart was bouncing and moving fast, no one was holding the reins. My opponent and I were both concentrating to stand still and not loose balance. I took my knife in my hand and got in a fighting stance. The woman smirked. I had to be careful not to step on Eren nor Historia.

I attacked her. She difficultly avoided my knife but I only managed to inflict her minimal cuts on her arms. She then blocked my blade with the barrel of her gun and strongly head-butted me. I fell on my back, right next to Historia. The blond woman climbed on top of me. She tried to restrain me but I was faster. I aimed the tip of my blade towards her throat and pushed as hard as I could. She blocked me and resisted.

I was truly impressed, she was a pretty strong opponent. Then, with both her hands, she twisted my wrist and turned my blade against me. I gritted my teeth: it was my turn to resist. I used my left hand to block my right arm. The woman used her entire body weight to put pressure on me.