Gold Medal Match

This chapter may not be as long as the others are just because all it is, is the game and the medal ceremony. I'm also tired of writing chapters that are just soccer games, so there's that.

Today we were playing against Sweden. We lost to them our first game and we don't want to lose again. We want to win gold. Sweden thinks they can get an easy win since they beat us when we were in the group stage. Well they won't know what hit them. We can do this.

Kristie slid down in the seat next to me on the bus that we were taking to the game. "You are starting todays match." I nod looking at her next to me. "I am." "Don't overthink it." She pats my shoulder with a smile. "You can do this." I nod slowly falling back into my pregame mindset to get ready. 

((We are going to flash forward to the game))

Only one minute into the game we were underway in Kashima, and Sweden drives in hard with some early pressure from the wings and winds up with along-distance shot by Blackstenius that was always going high. We were down Alyssa for our game today. She had hyperextended her knee in the last game.

7 minutes into the game now it's the we have some sustained pressure. Pinoe is prowling on the left with crosses and long throw-ins. Pinoe takes the ball up the left spotting me on the right making a run. I redirect the ball hoping it would go in. Just over the top. The goalie got a tip on it meaning it's a corner. 

Pinoe goes to take the corner and she scores straight from the corner kick to give the us the lead. The ball came screaming in from the right side, and Carli applies some helpful and timely pressure on the goalkeeper at precisely the right moment.

13 minutes in I almost make it two! Turning a Swede this way and that, I manage to get off a sliding shot that is deflected away from the goal at the last second for a corner. Pinoe again. Can she ...? Nope. It's another scorching corner, but Lindsey's header sails wide of the far post. We are up 1-0 we can do this. just don't lose focus now.

We just made a mess of its lead, and Jakobsson has tied the score for Sweden at 1-1. I take a deep breath. "We can do this girls, just don't give up." I state to everyone around me. I watch as the team nods looking around at each other, because we can do this. If we want this game enough we will do it.

Pinoe scored again! 2-1! It started with a cross from me that should have been easily handled in the center. But the Swedish defender, Glas, swung and missed so she couldn't get the job done, Pinoe on the left side of the area.

Watching the ball fall, Pinoe waited and waited, sized it up and then swung a mighty right foot at it and — boom!— sent a shot past Lindahl before the goalkeeper could even shift her feet.

A rocket of a finish, and a 2-1 lead for the United States. And if you thought Pinoe was feeling some joy before, you should see her now. Pinoe immediately gives me a hug. "That's what I'm talking about Bailey." I smile feeling prideful. "Your first Olympic gold medal match and you have an assist."

Just before the half hits starts with some terrific work by Lindsey in midfield; just shrugging off a defender gives her a little space on the left. Carli has already read it and is slicing into the area.

Lindsey's feed is inch-perfect, and Carli — in one devastating motion born of years of practice — controls with her right and buries a shot past Sweden's Lindahl with her left. The goalkeeper got a look and a chance to dive this time, at least, but the shot was hit so pure it was past her and in the right-side netting before anyone knew what had happened.

A pure striker's finish, from a pure striker. It's 3-1 just before the break. We all go and surround Carli. Now we have safety goal. I hear Kristie cheering loudly from the sidelines. Here we go ladies.