Chapter 18

Playing Pretend

Playing Pretend

EVERY DAY WAS getting harder for me and him. His mother was always around us but that didn't distract us from the problem at hand. 

We had found out that our plan worked and Navira was dead but we didn't know if the Russians had known it was us who attacked them. Roman's dad also didn't know that Leona was alive and in his son's house. 

Nayomi, Alex, Roman, and I surrounded the office table full of laptops and papers, Roman stood next to me as we secretly hid our interlocked pinkies under the table. 

Leona was also in the room but too far to detect anything going on, but everything that was going on is becoming exhausting. I passed a hand over my face and raked a hand through my hair to eliminate any sleep from my face. 

"Are you okay?" Roman whispered as he bent down next to me. 

"Just tired, that's it" I smiled at him and he nodded giving me a tiny kiss on my temple.           

A tiny knock on the door made us look up from all the files, Sage opened the door slowly holding a tiny mickey mouse plush and a blanket. 

"Papa?" He whispered and Roman instantly stood and walked over to him picking him up "Can I stay with you? I'm scared" 

"Why, figlio?" Roman spoke brushing the tiny curls off his son's face. (Son)

"I hear something outside the window, Karah said she heard it too" His lower lip was trembling and he was now tearing up and wrapping his arms around his father.

"Alex, Go check it out" He sternly said while soothing Sage in his arms. I stood up with Alex wanting to go too. I suddenly have been feeling the same protectiveness I had when I first met the twins. 

Roman looked at me with soft eyes as I whispered, "I'm going to check on Karah" 

Leona was looking so I couldn't kiss him on the cheek as I would but I subtly brushed his arm which was enough for him. 

I walked the long hallways with Alex until we reached the bedroom quarter, "You see anything don't hesitate to call me" 

"You too, Alex" He nodded and fixed the gun on the waistband of his jeans. 

Karah's room was right next to Sages, so I slowly opened the door and called out for her.

"Karah...?" The window of her bedroom was wide open and panic settled into me. 

"Karah?" I called out louder, I turned around and saw words scribbled on the wall. 

We'll get her next time   

"ALEX!" I rushed into Sage's room seeing Alex looking at the words on the wall. 

GIVE US THE PATRONNE. WE NEED THE PATRONNE. (Boss)  

But where was Karah? I ran back into her room searching for her, "Karah...where are you?" 

I hear a slight cry in the separate bathroom and go into there, The cabinet door was slightly ajar and another tiny wail came from it. 

"Sweetheart? It's okay, you can come out now" I bent down on my knees and watched as she opened the door holding onto her stuffed bunny tightly.  

She instantly ran into my arms and sobbed, "H-he scared me, Fear! I t-tried to be like you but I couldn't" 

"It's alright, sweetheart. I'm just glad that you're safe" She squeezed me tighter and Roman rushed into the room. 

"Alex told me, What happened?" He tried talking to Karah but she wouldn't speak nor let go of my hand.  

We went back to the office where both twins were, when they met eyes they instantly hugged each other. The view warmed my heart.  

After they both attached to Roman like he was their entire life.

Nayomi approached and whispered into my ear, "He's a great dad, y'know"

I just nodded as he kissed both their heads and placed them on the couch to fall asleep next to each other.

"Do you have any idea what 'Patronne' means?" Alex looked and me and I nodded. 

"It means boss" I spoke connecting the dots in my brain. 

They wanted- No. They needed me because I was their boss. The boss of the French Mafia.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

"Are you sure about this?" Roman spoke as we arrived on the tarmac just one flight and 7 hours away from France. The place I once called home.

"Very sure" I got out of the car, Nayomi and Alex coming out of another behind us. We all loaded our suitcases into the plane and boarded. I instantly took the window seat and Roman sat next to me Alex and Nayomi took the other seats in front of us. 

"So what exactly is the plan?" Alex spoke up, I pulled out my laptop and turned it towards them. 

"This warehouse is where the French inventory is kept, the rest is easy. We go in, try not to get shot at, and go on with whatever happens" I answer pointing at the screen and the map holding a red dot highlighting the location of the warehouse. 

"Yeah...easy enough" Nayomi shrugged and stood up to lay down on the separate couch, Alex following her with his eyes lit up. 

"He's whipped for her" Roman spoke as Alex glared at him from the couch. 

"And? You are too" He responded cuddling closer to Nayomi who grinned. How could someone cheat on such a man?

Roman just chuckled and intertwined our fingers on his lap.

"You didn't deny it," I told him. 

"There's nothing to deny, it's true" He responded pulling me as close as the chairs would let us be. 

He laid his head on my shoulder and spoke again before closing his eyes, "You can't help who you fall in love with" 

My breathing stopped short and butterflies invaded my entire stomach. I kissed his temple and rested my head on his. But I couldn't stop thinking of his words.  

You can't help who you fall in love with...          

Hello sweethearts! I hoped you enjoy this chapter as much as I loved writing it :)

I will be going on spring break soon so expect some if not many chapters during that week.

Make sure to comment any predictions, suggestions, or even feedback.  

Love you <3 , M.