Melly x Shy!Fem!Reader: Will you 🐝 mine

While today was a warm and sunny one, you opted to hide from the radiant sun to be in the shade of a gingko tree, carefully digging up weeds from the garden of colourful azaleas and rhododendrons beneath. Familiar tunes sang from the pocket radio clipped onto your belt, however, the music was mostly masked by the constant blaring of cicadas from the tree above.

Weeding the trees without someone beside you was risky, but you had an expedition planned in a few hours. Knowing that the trip wouldn't be a short one, you were trying to finish your daily tasks before then.

After tossing another dandelion into your wheelbarrow, you paused for a water break. The chills and pains in your body had worsened over the weeks. Making even everyday tasks, as mundane as walking up and down the stairs, a painful one. The symptoms started after the trip to the swamp, but you knew it wasn't a cold or fever. It couldn't be. These pains felt like your nervous system was being eaten away.

A sudden migraine made your chest tighten and your eyes sting, so you decided to lie down and wait for it to pass. As you did, the song from the radio came to a fadeout and one of the hosts started speaking.

"Gooooood morning everyone! Thanks for tuning in for today's Ten in Ten, where we cover the top ten news stories in ten minutes or less!"

You reached to unclip the radio from your belt. The muffled and staticky voice was not helping your migraine at all. Just as your finger touched the power button, the broadcaster announced a familiar name.

"At number ten, the leading plant research facility Oletus Garden announced they will be partnering with world-renowned entomolo-"

The radio clicked off. Your head stopped ringing and you sighed in relief. A gentle breeze grazed your skin, alleviating a bit of the overheating from your body.

"(Y/N)! That's where you are!"

The familiar voice made you jump. It was the director of Oletus Garden, Emma Woods.

"Good morning Em..." you croaked. The pain from your forehead chained your head to the grass, but you mustered up a weak wave in the direction of her voice.

"Oh, is it a bad time right now? Are you feeling alright? You didn't fall did you?"

You chuckled at Emma's concern. "I'm alright... It's a migraine for now... But I think this one will pass."

Footsteps approached you from the side and you looked towards it through your peripheral vision, trying not to move your head to avoid more pain. Emma appeared in your line of sight, followed by a masked stranger.

"(Y/N)! You remember Dr. Melly Plinius? The entomologist we worked with during the expedition to study irises in the Lakeside Ruins?"

The Lakeside Ruins?

You racked your brain to recall this trip and she seemed to pick up on your confusion.

"The swamplands?"

"O-Oh!" You gasped, embarrassed that you had forgotten. Emma laughed at your expression and gestured towards the guest. "Let me jog your memory a bit. This is Dr. Melly Plinius, she's here to help with the Muse Project."

"Pleased to work with you again so soon, (Y/N). It was a pleasure to collaborate last time for the study of Lakeside Village."

Your eyes widened. What a poor introduction I've made!

Here you were, lying on the floor while a new colleague reintroduced herself. You peeled yourself off of the ground, trying not to puke. Emma gasped and quickly came to your side to help you up.