Edgar x reader: Voyage Of A Lifetime

The sun painted the sky with its evening glow, basking the town in the serene light. To a normal person, this view would be magnificent, but to him, it was boring. Hearing the seagulls cry and smelling the crisp scent of seawater was enough to re-spark his creative mind. "Bonsoir monsieur! Bienvenue à la S.S. Oletus, may I see your ticket please."

Without even batting an eye, Edgar rolled up his sleeve to reveal his family crest, tattooed onto his arm. The ticket man gasped and quickly gestured towards the entrance of the ship. "Right this way monsieur Valden! Excuse me for the disrespect!"

The man ushered Edgar's bags to his room on the deck, leaving the painter to his own devices on the top floor of the ship. With a smile, Edgar set up his easel and began to capture the sight of the sun setting on the horizon as the ship began to depart. It wasn't long before his silence was interrupted by noisy onlookers.

"Oh wow! What are you painting there young man?" said one woman. Edgar could feel her presence over his shoulder.

"Those are some pretty colours you got there," said another.

The commotion drew passersbys towards him, and it wasn't long before his arch-nemeses would show up...

Children.

"Oh hey what's this?" Without permission, a young boy picked up the sketchbook that was laying on the floor and began to flip through it.

"Oh wow your portraits are so beautiful!" they cried. Strangers began to fawn over his work, and Edgar sighed. Here comes the classic-

"Can I commission you?"

"No, me first!"

"It's my wedding anniversary, so please paint my wife and I first!"

Grimacing he remembered his fathers words, "Your only job as a people-pleaser is to swallow your pride, and please the people." With that in mind, the grimace washed off his face as he turned to the crowd with a smile as bright as the setting sun. "I will paint the highest bidder first!"

.

.

.

After sitting the respected patrons down and drawing rough drafts of their portraits, the sun long waved goodbye and the moon hello. With the last sketch finished, Edgar waved goodbye to the last client. As soon as their back turned, his smile disappeared.

"Tsk... I came on this ship to escape all these blaireaux, but they follow me wherever I go," he scowled, "All they care about is how pretty something looks but not about the true meaning, such filthy blaireaux."

Packing up his supplies, he looks at the easel with the forgotten picture of the sea he was rendering earlier. "At least I was able to get the base colours down..."

"Um... excuse me..?" a voice called out to him.

Not again... at this hour too...

"Yes? How may I help you?" he coaxed.

"May I take a look at that painting?"

____________________________________________________________

(Y/N) POV

"Of course, please have a look!" the man said joyfully, his voice hoarse, as if he'd been using it all day.

Although it was dark, the light on the boat's cabin illuminated the easel like a spotlight. The crisp blues and ambers on the canvas shimmered, you could almost feel their textures on your fingertips.