Fall of Crail

On the south tip of the kingdom of Fife, there was a town, the most sumptuous jewel on the Fife's noble crown. This jewel was nothing else than a fortress of Crail. For centuries knights were training behind these walls and learning fencing techniques. These knights were the proudest and the strongest, fearless warriors in a land. They fought until the last breath; riders on eagles, they were always ready to die for the king. And this day wasn't different.

The wind was blowing across the sea, and it brought terrible feelings on. The wind was so cold that it left knights tight and focused. A shadow of darkness was coming from the east. A sky full of blood moved back before the inky black with no stars seen. Knights standing on a top of a guard tower were waiting impatiently for a return of a scout. A heavy silence was interrupted by the sound of the wings of a huge eagle, who flew down to the tower. Eagle sat on the edge of the tower, from the eagle's backs a knight in full armour was leaning over to see.

"He's coming," he said.

Just a few words and the fear came over the knights, standing on the top of the tower.

The oldest and the wisest from the knights, the grandmaster himself, didn't let the fear take control over his mind.

"How many of them are going with him?" he asked the question, no one wanted to hear an answer.

The scout leaned over the eagles back even more and took a look to grandmaster's eyes.

"Master, he's coming along."

***

"He's a fool!" Shouted an old knight.

"And... that's good or bad news?" asked the younger one.

"Only a fool can come to Crail without an army!"

"He's maybe a fool, but don't forget he's also a mage," informed ser Regulon.

"It's suicide!"

"It's a trap!"

"Gentlemen," spoke the grandmaster Proletius, who silently listened to his colleagues until now. "Fool or not, he's coming."

All eyes pointed to grandmaster; knights were silently waiting for orders. Proletius looked at them.

"If he's coming alone, without an army of chaos, he is sure by his victory. The king is missing, and we are the last standing in his way after the absolute control of the kingdom of Dundee. There is no much hope left..." he sighed.

"Proletius," asked the young knight, "it sounds like you want to give up..."

"Give up?" Proletius gave a boy a look. "No, I don't want to give up, young Cornus. How is it even possible that a knight like you know of such words like these, Cornus? Give up? Never! Zargothrax is a mad old man if he thinks he can win against the knights of Crail. I won't let him reach it easily. Move!"
Suddenly the whole fortress came to life. Knights were running through halls, taking their armours and swords and preparing for the arrival of the evil sorcerer.

The young knight, Cornus Dawon, was with others. He helped them to get into their armours, saddled up their eagles and sharpen their weapons. After that, he realised he didn't have his sword with him, so he returned to his room to find the sword in it. But suddenly a soft knocking was heard from the door. He turned.

In a door, there was standing ser Regulon. Face fill with worry. "Cornus," he spoke to a young knight. "Take your stuff, the important one, your sword and a travel coat. Meet me in a dungeon." He left before Cornus could ask anything.