Epilogue

The hydraulic door closed with a hiss. They hid something very valuable, old and green. Subcommander Ralathor stared silently at the closed door for a moment. He watched his own reflection in the shiny surface. His hair pulled back into a ponytail, he wore a dark uniform with a unicorn badge on his chest. With a flick of his hand, he adjusted his military beret. There was no point in hiding in the shadows anymore, he reminded to himself.

"You really think he's coming back?" Michael addressed him.

The chief engineer stood at his side, checking the contents of the dataped behind the closed door. He wore the same uniform as Ralathor.

"Yes, I think," the commander said without looking at the man.

He turned and walked out of the small room into the hallway. There were two more doors that led to the office rooms. They were in a dormitory-like container that served as quarters for the resistance soldiers. He walked through the hall and down the steps outside the container and looked around the base they had built in the valley on the shores of Loch Rannoch, next to the old stone temple. The temple's spires rose above the impenetrable jungle.

In the kingdom of Dundee, word spread quickly of a resistance that opposed Zargothrax's will. Men and women from all over the county came to the valley to become part of the Hootsforce. They came to find refuge and a home. They came here to find hope. Ralathor looked around the base. Soldiers in white or dark uniforms walked around the base, checking supplies, training new members. There was still much to do, but it was a start. A new beginning, the hermit thought. He watched as a few soldiers chased away a unicorn, that decided to taste the cables leading to the great hall inside the ancient temple.

"They're nice creatures," Ralathor said when he saw the unicorn, driven away from the electrical cables, poking its head into a bag of supplies. "You just can't upset them too much."

"This should be carved in stone," Michael grinned at his side.

Ralathor smiled, his eyes fixed on the makeshift base that had become their new home. The magic here was pure and powerful. And it was magic that could hide them from Zargothrax's sight. The wizard could see far, but Ralathor made sure he couldn't see here. He made sure the wizard was blind here. He felt a sudden wind brush against his cheeks, played with his hair, and the commander had to hold his beret on his head to keep it from flying away in the gust of wind. He looked up to the sky. The sky was filled with black clouds, the rumble of thunder reaching them from the distance. Red lightning crossed the sky.

"A storm is coming," he said calmly.

In Hoots we trust!