Candle

This story contains possibly triggering content such as

Kidnapping,gore,abusive past and possibly sensitive topics

(S/N)=sisters name

(F/N)= fathers name

(M/N)= Mothers name

(B/S/N)= Baby sisters name

Just for a few moments.

You allowed yourself to relax and enjoy something, even if it was something as small as sharing a meal with your siblings and your teacher. It was something you felt like you'd be able to treasure.

It would only last for a few moments however, because as you led the younger ones to bed and came back to help Natsume clean up, you knew that there was a question that needed to be asked.

Something needed to be answered and you didn't know how well she'd take it.

Not knowing her for long, and even if you did. Asking older people questions was always hard after having a good time because to you, their moods were like matches or something fragile.

The slighted spark or touch could send the night a flame or crashing down. Ruining the moment you felt before.

'Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut, and not bother. She's in a good mood. Everyone is, and we can just go to sleep with everyone happy. Yeah..I'll just ask her another time or something.'

You thought to yourself as you picked up empty plates, cups and bowls. Taking them to the sink to wash them out.

"(Y/N), Is there something you'd like to ask?"

"Huh? How did you-"

"Your face, you look like you have something on your mind. If that is the case, please do not be afraid to ask me."

You didn't even realise your face changed while you were walking around and helping with the clean up. It could be possible that you were just that lost in thought, but still you never really let your face change up.

It was always an issue when you did.

Maybe you were just that relaxed, and instead of straining your face to keep the same expression it naturally switched to fit your current emotion. It hadn't happened in so long, but even when pointing it out to you.

Nastume wasn't upset, her expression didn't change and her tone didn't either. Still as gentle and welcoming as it was earlier when she helped you in, and talked to you while you all ate a few moments ago.

It might've been risky but you really wanted to know the answer to this question. So maybe it wouldn't hurt to let your guard down just a little more.

"Can we talk after I'm done with the dishes?"

"Sure, I'll finish sweeping and come to help you. Then we can talk and you can ask whatever you'd like."

As she continued to walk and sweep, inside and outside you watched her for a little and then looked back down at the dishes, slightly shocked at how easy that turned out to be in the end.