Chapter 17

The charms Professor was an incredibly short man with unique defining features. If Harry looked closely the man lightly resembled the goblins that ran Gringotts Bank. Visuals, however, was where the similarities ended. The Professor moved around excitedly and talked in a very cheery manner when introducing himself and charms as a subject. He reminded Harry of small, excited birds.

Harry heard him say his name was Professor Flitwick. Harry, of course, didn't hear anything he said after that. So when the Professor explained the importance of pronunciation and precise wand movement? Harry didn't catch that. When the Professor warned them using the example of a man who ended up with an elephant on his chest? Harry didn't catch that either. Do you want to know what did catch Harry's attention? Hannah lightly tapping the table next to him. It was really soft, so naturally nobody heard it.

Nobody but Harry.

The finger doing all the tapping did it at perfect intervals with out stopping or taking a break. This was probably a habit or tick of hers. Hannah did not realise she was doing it, she put all her attention to the teacher without looking away. Slowly the tapping went from perfectly timed to gaining some rhythm, maybe a melody stuck in her head, and then back to the boring tap-tap-tap. She was trying to get the melody out her head, or trying not to zone out, maybe?

There was a loud series of claps throughout the silent room and Harry looked back to the front of the classroom.

Professor Flitwick got out a scroll of long parchment and started to do rollcall. Every time someone acknowledged that they were in class he looked at then, probably to put a face to their name. Obviously it was very soon when the class realised that that a few students were not where they were expected to be, Susan was first on the roll after all, she was also a Hufflepuff sitting on the "Gryffindor side" of the classroom. Professor looked intrigued but didn't say anything when he noticed this.

The Gryffindors looked at the little group of yellow and black on their side and started whispering. One boy, whose name was just out of reach from Harry, squawked in indignation before being quietend by another boy next to him. Yellow and black, BEES! Harry liked bees. Well, they did sting, and their stings hurt alot if the one he got from tending the garden was any indication, but they died after. Poor things. Sacrificing your life to save your family, all in vain. Small, cute little warriors. Busy busy busy army!

When it was time for Harry's name to be called from the rollcall the Professor tripped over his books. This was Harry Potter! In his class! Or atleast that was what seemed to go through the short Professor's head. The accident made everyone laugh and seemed to cause them to forget that Harry was the reason the Professor tripped in the first plece. They were to focused on the fact that their Professor, a professional person, tripped. Harry also knew that the Professor knew he was there. It was the Huffelpuff and Ravenclaw first year class, after all.

So, the Professor knew Harry was there, yet still got such a huge surprise that he fell off his books. Harry realised that Professor Flitwick did not stumble because of Harry Potter, but rather for Harry Potter. Getting everyone's attention off of him right in the beginning of class while also keeping the students entertained. Harry decided he liked the short man.

Professor Flitwick went on to introduce them to their first spell. His enthusiasm to teach bringing up the bird in Harry's mind again.

All throughout the class the students where laughing and having fun. They worked on theory for the spell they were to do the next time they had charms and everyone grasped the information pretty well. The class had fun well still learning what they needed to learn. Whether there were people who were new to the wizarding world or those who have a hard time being away from home, the lesson helped everyone be a bit more comfortable in their new environment.

Harry enjoyed the lesson with everyone else and found it rather amusing. Though, sometimes he would notice something in the class that would catch his attention, or there was a sound that he appeared to be the only one who could hear it (it was really just one sound, but he couldn't place it and it was driving him cazy), but then Professor Birdy would do a spell to prove a point and Harry couldn't just not watch that. It was magic! Or the students were told to do something to help everyone understand, sometimes alone and sometimes as a class.

Harry's friends noticed this when they looked his way. And by that I mean Susan was constantly looking his way and Chuckles was checking to see if he was paying attention regularly.  They were both happy to see that he was doing better in this lesson than he did in the last. Mabye he was just overwhelmed by everything, it was his first official day of magic school ofcourse.

Now all Harry wanted to know was when they could do a charm. Their first spell in this class would be the Levitation charm, making and object flyyyyy. Harry briefly wondered if he could make a person fly. Could he make himself fly? Was there a size or weight limit to the spell? What was the incantation? Lots of reading to do. Ohhh, Hannah is tapping her fingers again! What is this song? A wizarding song? Do wizards play their music on magical instruments? What do the magical instruments even look like? Sound like? How do they work?

Harry questions about the spell was all answered in the lesson, too bad he wasn't paying attention. Susan seemed to realize this as well. Harry had zoned out. Again! What is she going to do with this boy?

*Comments make me happy, just a hint ;)