Chapter 5

/Ruth's P.O.V/

Location: L.A, California

Time: Present

"A guy for me to get married to, Ruth."

O-oh

My eyes widened and I stared at her, speechless. 

My parents told her before we moved to the States that they would start looking for suitable grooms once her job stabilized. She was okay with it back then. Sarah trusted our parents to find a husband for her. But even back then she made it clear that she wanted to find her dream job before she gets married. They agreed too.

I expected it, but I really didn't.

"Didn't you see this coming though?" I asked her.

"I mean, after getting this job I told mummy she could starting letting me see them. But-" She began, but I interupted her seeing it wasn't easy for her to finish.

"You don't want to loose your singularity?"I said with a grin, realizing what I said. Even Sarah cracked a small smile, "You just had to make a music reference, didn't you?"

"But, I mean, I don't think I should be crying. I'm okay with getting married. But it's just so sudden." She continued, sitting up on the bed. I sat on the floor, with my back resting against the bed. 

We often talked like this, not looking at each other. But still able to make perfect conversation.

"So, when is he going to come?" I asked her, staring at the white wall in front of me. Sarah sighed and said he would come tomorrow.

Let me explain how arranged marriages work in my family: The bride's family either use a matrimonial website online or a reference.

 If they use the former option, they just make an account online, pick a dude and then he comes home to visit the girl. Now, because you can't trust random people online- they ensure the guy lives somewhere they know and they ask people who live there about the guy. Well, about the guy and his family. After that the guy comes and visits the girl in her house.

If they use a reference, it means there's one matchmaker. The matchmaker sees a guy he knows, who wants to get married. Then he goes, "Hey there, you wanna get married? Sweet, I know a cool girl who wants to get married too. You guys should meet!" The matchmaker obviously has to be a person that both the guy and girl's family trust. Then the guy meets the girl in her house. 

For my parent's marriage, my grandfather and my mother's uncle who worked together, realized that my mom and dad would make a great pair and.. well, we know the rest.

In both cases, the girl's parents or close relative has to be present when the two meet. When the guy comes home, he has to come with his family. After they meet, if the girl and guy like each other and the parents approve- they get married.

In the olden days, the bride and groom didn't even get to meet before the wedding day. But thanks to some rebels, that changed..

yay?

I definitely don't wanna get married like this. But I'm not gonna get forced to get married till I'm like twenty-four.

Back to Sarah.

"So if it works, when will the wedding be?" I asked her. I couldn't see it, but she shrugged and didn't reply.

Getting no response, I just asked another question. "Who's the guy?"

"Some Indian-Canadian named Alec Telling," 

"Age?"

"Twenty-six,"