Chapter 15

I locked myself in the bathroom. My bladder couldn't hold it any longer, and I had other plans than sitting there, engaging in small talk, and enduring Henry's icy gaze. He truly hated me. The only reason he pushed Reid away was probably because he knew Atticus liked me, and he probably didn't want his student to be sexually harassed in his own home. I fetched my phone from my purse, logged onto the app, connected to the internet, and began my search for loopholes as I peed.

Can you try to break through the walls on this network? I texted Andrew, transferring the codes I had picked up.

Andrew: Yes, done. It was surprisingly simple. Where are you?

At a dinner party with a very strange group of people. I'll update you later. Thank you.

Through their network, I could peek into their phones and computers, but I didn't have time to do it at this moment. I began downloading everything and put my phone back into my purse. After a quick touch-up in the mirror, I stumbled into Atticus on his way to the bathroom.

"Oh, I apologize," he chuckled and caught me with his hands. "Are you doing alright, Ace? I know it's a tough crowd out there."

"Yes, thank you," I moved to the side, making room for him to pass me. He was here for a reason — to go to the bathroom. His eyes looked midnight blue in the dim light of the hallway. I smiled a little, he brushed past me reaching for the door handle, another smile on his mouth.

"You look beautiful, in case nobody told you," he whispered, looking me over, his eyes finally landing on my face and I blushed. He was so handsome, with messy brown hair and a playful smile. The sleeves on his shirt were rolled up, revealing his strong lower arms and tanned glowing skin. I almost reached out to touch him. "Don't worry about Reid. I talked to him."

"Thank you," I replied. I didn't know what else to say to the man before me; the words refused to be spoken. I wanted to ask why Henry hated me, even though I knew very well why. I was his student, and I was in his home, eating his food, drinking his wine, and kind of on a date with his roommate. And as if Atticus had read my mind, he said, "I know Henry can be intimidating. He doesn't mean anything by it; he's just always in a mood," he said. I nodded, he smiled, and slipped into the bathroom. I took a few moments to even my breath before going back to what now sounded more like a party.

The music had changed to something else entirely. Everybody Loves an Outlaw's "I See Red" was playing, and I assumed it was not Henry who had changed it since he looked broodier than ever before.

"Shots!" Dana chirped. "And dance!" She grabbed my hand and placed a shot there, then laughed as she dragged me towards her.

"Fuck it," I mumbled and downed the shot. I wanted to dance, whether it was me or the alcohol was debatable. She turned me around and grabbed my waist, and I couldn't hold back my giggle.

"Work it, girls," Reid commented, earning him a scowl from Dana. I laid one hand on her shoulder and swayed my hip with her, and it didn't take long before we were in sync. Our eyes locked as we moved in on each other like lovers. Dana mouthed the song as she looked past me. I glanced over my shoulder to find Henry staring at me intently. He took a deep sip of his whiskey. I quickly turned away; he looked at me with disgust. I wanted to stop dancing and go home, but Dana laughing and looking as if she peaked in life made it better. Lucy surprised me by joining and dragging Reid with her.

"He is staring his eyes out," Dana whispered in my ear, grabbing my hips and turning me around to face him; his gaze dropped in an instant.

"He hates me," I chuckled.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Dana laughed and twirled me around, her hands were replaced with two bigger and warmer hands — Atticus smiled down on me, taking my hand and giving me a spin. He dipped me, and I yelped. Another shot was placed between my fingers.