Chapter 2

Edited

"Second exit on the roundabout," Jenny said, her voice muffled by the granola bar she'd been struggling to unwrap a moment ago. You'd think she'd handle that better, given her proficiency in more dangerous activities. I followed her instructions, turning onto Sunflower Road, of all names. "Now, take a left, then a right."

The sky was darkening, but thankfully, the rain had finally ceased. I silently cursed the weather; if I had to carry these boxes in the rain, my books would be ruined. The area was eerily quiet, and the houses, more like mini-mansions, spoke of affluence. Some had a modern touch, while others exuded traditional Irish charm.

As I took the right turn, I found myself on a narrow stone road, surrounded by yet another forest. "I'm going to live in the woods?" I broke the silence, my curiosity getting the best of me.

"You're going to love it," Jenny assured me. Not that I minded living in the woods.

The forest began to thin out, and Jenny was right again. The house stood before me, grand and white, its tall, framed windows commanding attention. A balcony on the second floor extended over a black-painted double door at the entrance. A spacious front yard provided ample parking space, and open fields with wildflowers flanked the sides of the house – it was nothing short of a dream.

"You're quiet. Does that mean you love it?" Jenny inquired.

"Yes! I absolutely love it; it's perfect. I can't wait for you to come visit. Thank you for staying on the line. Good luck, and call me later?" I parked the car and leaned forward, gazing at the house through the windshield.

"Yesss," she replied. "Text me. Love you." And before I could reciprocate the sentiment, she hung up, leaving me with the distant beeping sound.

I opened the car door, inhaling the fresh, rain-washed air. Autumn was approaching, bringing a chill to the night air, but I hoped to enjoy one more month of summer before swapping dresses for jeans. This part of Ireland had experienced an unusually warm summer, and I hoped it would linger a bit longer.

After retrieving my bag from the backseat, I climbed the stairs to the front door, where I found the key under the mat. I wondered whether the house was already furnished or if I'd have the opportunity to decorate it to my liking. Turning the key, I entered my new home for the next few years, and I instantly felt a sense of belonging.

I stepped into a marbled foyer that led to a spacious living room, bathed in natural light streaming through glass doors. It was adorned in bright whites. I dropped my bag and went back to the car for my books and belongings.

Navigating the first floor, I noted the hardwood floors and built-in shelves, where I left my boxes of books. The kitchen, partly open to the living room through a large archway, was the next project on my list – I intended to paint it green. The white kitchen would soon transform into a rich, dark green, ideally by the end of the week. Paired with dark wood countertops, it promised to be stunning.

The first floor also featured a bedroom with a bathroom, which I planned to reserve for my pretend grandpa, due to visit by Christmas. I retraced my steps to the foyer and climbed the grand staircase. The second floor housed more bedrooms and bathrooms. Finally, I located the room with the balcony and French doors – it was perfect, and it even had a mattress. I opened the glass doors and stepped outside. Through the damp forest, I could see houses and streetlights casting a golden hue in the dim night. A few more drops of rain fell, prompting me to return inside.

I collected my bags from downstairs and brought them up to my new bedroom. Afterward, I unpacked my bag of weapons and meticulously organized them – Glocks, silenced guns, knives, throwing knives, and various poisons and antidotes.

Following a lengthy shower, I changed into a T-shirt and a skirt. I fastened my holster and secured my Glock to my thigh, then drove off in search of food.

Navigating the narrow, dimly lit streets in the darkness proved somewhat challenging, but I soon spotted the warm glow of lights in a few windows. I parked at the curb and hurried across the street. As I entered the establishment, I was greeted by low music and a cozy ambiance. The woman behind the counter offered me a warm smile.

"How can Oi be helpin' ya?" woman said with a thick Irish accent, her words rolling off her tongue like the melody of a folk song.

"Do you make burgers at this hour?" I inquired, peeking at the clock on my phone. It was past eleven.

"We stopped servin' a minute ago, but Oi'll make an exception. Are ya new to town?"

"Thank you kindly, yes. I actually got here tonight," I replied and took a seat on one of the stools at the bar.

"Ah, would ya be takin' it with ya, then?" She offered a friendly smile.

"Thank you, yes," I said, returning her smile.

As I scanned the cozy pub, my eyes caught sight of a dark-haired man sitting alone, his back turned to me. The rain outside fell harder, adding to the soothing ambiance of the place. A group of people entered through the creaking doors, their laughter and chatter filling the air as they settled at a table in the corner. The server deftly took their orders before disappearing into the back.

I had been looking forward to this break for months, and a sense of calm washed over me. This small town was now my home for the next two years, and I didn't need to travel anywhere or be anywhere else. Leaning my elbows on the polished wooden counter, I rested my chin in my palms as I waited, soaking in the friendly atmosphere and lilting Irish accents around me.

As the woman returned with my burger, she offered it with a warm smile. "Thank you."

"Hey," she added as I turned to leave. "Welcome to Dark Falls."

I appericiate you taking your time to read my story. Please leave me a vote, follow and a comment if you want to show me some support

Find me on other socials

Instagram: emersonwinter.author

Tiktok: emersonwinter.author

Inkitt: emersonwinter

Thanks