Chapter 14

Classical music played softly. Atticus had placed the vase of roses at the far end of the blackwood table. Six of the eight chairs were filled. A wooden chandelier cast a warm glow over the spacious dining room, with a large landscape painting hanging on the wall behind the three other guests. Apart from a green plant in the corner, there wasn't much other décor. To my left, between two tall open windows offering views of the calm night and the vast woods below, was a door leading out to what I assumed was a large patio.

The group gathered was different from what I had expected, through I wasn't entirely sure what I had expected. It was rather hard to read the room. Atticus had seated me between him and Henry, much to my dread. Dana sat across from Henry, while Reid Eikenberry sat opposite me. I couldn't quite figure him out. Reid was handsome, with hazel eyes and dark eyes, reminiscent of a cheaper version of Henry. Next to him sat Lucy Huntington. She had silky blonde hair pulled back into a sleek ponytail and wore a scarlet red dress, excluding an air of grace as if she had grown up surrounded by wealth. They were all very polite, and I couldn't understand why Atticus had warned me about Reid's behavior; until now, he hadn't said much as he devoured his food. Dana on the other hand, kept giving me knowing smiles, clearly sensing my discomfort sitting between Atticus and Henry. The latter hadn't uttered a word to me since we left the kitchen.

Atticus refilled my glass with wine before beginning to fill more onto my plate, and I simply nodded along. He was a true gentleman, wearing a black dress shirt with a few buttons undone and sleeved rolled up. His dark hair – a sexy mess. I listened to the conversations around the table in silence.

"You study literature, right, Emlia?" Dana directed the conversation towards me, I wanted to sink down in the chair as everyone's eyes turned to me. "Who's your favorite author?"

"Depends," I replied, taking a calming sip of wine. "For classics, it's Dante, but otherwise, I enjoy Sarah J. Maas and similar authors. I love a good fantasy." I didn't glance at Henry as I spoke, but Dana's amused grin suggested she had noticed something on his face.

"She has three copies of the Divine comedy," Atticus remarked as he cut his steak.

"Have you already been through her bookshelf?" Lucy laughed, her voice like honey. I liked her – she seemed calm, the type who didn't dance drunkenly on tables. She also appeared strong, as if she lifted weights a bunch.

I work fast," Atticus grinned. I playfully shoved him, and he apologized, explaining, "Sorry, that came out wrong. I was simply helping her with a monstrous wardrobe to take her to Narnia. I hope you have safe travels, Ace." Ace. Dana frowned briefly, her eyes flicking between me and Atticus.

"Yeah, right," Reid chuckled. "How old are you anyway, eighteen?" There he was, asshole.

"Twenty," I replied short, avoiding his mocking smile.

"Young one, Atticus, nice catch," he retorted.

"Hmm," Henry grunted, and I dared to glance at him, sensing his disapproval. Either of my reply or Reid's, which one it was I couldn't read, but Reid fell silent.

Then, Lucy began asking trivial questions, most likely to cut through the horrible tension in the room. She asked why I was in Dark Falls, offering condolences about my parents' deaths, and asking about my grandfather. Both Henry remained silent most of the time, and when he did speak, it wasn't to me. Maybe this hadn't been the best idea after all.

The dinner felt excruciatingly long, filled with small talk that I despised, and a part of it didn't seem quite natural, as if they all were in on acting a certain way. After what seemed like hours, we retired to the living room. Reid headed straight for the pool table and asked if I played. I was not going to waste a good opportunity to crush an asshole in a friendly game of pool. I accepted the cue Reid offered, mirroring his confidence. I was good at this game, and I hoped I was better than him. Atticus poured himself a whiskey and offered me one, which I accepted, but I decided to drink slowly, I had a lot of wine during dinner.