Chapter 6

Edited

Quickly, I closed my phone and turned to find Atticus panting with his hands on his hips. Sweat gleamed on his forehead under the streetlights. He wore a tight sweater and a pair of shorts, showcasing his muscular legs and upper body.

"Atticus Emerson," I replied, putting my phone back into my pocket and folding my arms across my chest.

"Do you come here often?" He frowned, gesturing toward the police station.

"Yes, this is where I wash my hair," I retorted. He gave a breathy laugh, which made me smile for a moment before quickly wiping it away.

"No, I was out running, and I got a text."

"Boyfriend?" He smiled a bit wider.

"None of your business," I replied. He looked appealing, all sweaty and panting – and so tall.

"Oh, alright," he replied, waving his hand as if I had burned his index finger. We stared at each other for a moment, and he seemed lost for words.

"Well, if you approached me just to ask if I have a boyfriend, then I guess goodbye," I said, and his brows went up as I walked past him, jogging back to my house.

"Hey, wait," Atticus came running after me, and when he caught up with me, he said, "you shouldn't be running out alone after dark."

"Why?"

"People vanish in this town. It's been a while since the last disappearance, but still," he said. It had been five years since an eighteen-year-old vanished, leaving only blood on the scene, reportedly mauled by animals. I didn't believe it was animals.

"I know," I replied.

"Then what are you doing out here all alone after dark? Do you have a death wish?"

"I can take care of myself. And, by the way, you are out all by yourself. Is it because I'm a woman you are so worried?" I retorted.

"No, but I'm in the Night Owls," he replied, and I burst out laughing, so I had to stop. "What kind of stupid thing is that?" Did I really say that out loud? He raised his brows at me. Only then, when I really looked at him, did I notice how his bright eyes turned into the most beautiful midnight blue in the darkness. "Sorry. Come again?" I asked, refocusing on the conversation.

"Night Owls, it's a program students can apply to. We help other students get home safely at night, patrol on weekends when most people are out drinking, and we also take turns being night watch during the week," he explained. It sounded reasonable.

"How do I apply?" That would be a good way to make some friends.

"You just show up. Our next meeting is Monday at four. We also have self-defense classes and more." Was he a student? He seemed a bit old, or maybe he was pursuing a Ph.D.? But the university didn't offer Ph.D.'s; you had to go to Dublin.

"Are you a student?"

"Used to be. I organized and set up the Night Owls when I was a student a few years ago and continued to run it afterward. There's not much else to do in this town, is there?" he said a bit dryly. He was the organizer in all of this, protecting students and people from vanishing or being killed; it seemed like a good way to hide in plain sight. Maybe they were being trafficked? There was a lot of money in that. Did Henry Salvatore, Dana Mikaelson, and that other guy have a hand in this, and were there more? It was too early to tell, and everyone was a suspect, so I stopped that train of thought. I realized he was following me home as my house came into view.

"Where do you live?" I asked.

"Oh, so we do tell strangers where we live now?" he asked with a charming accent. I couldn't help but smile and cleared my throat. "Alright," he said, "I live further up this road, or more like in the woods."

"Are you a lumberjack as well?" I teased.

"No, but I have the skill to chop wood if that's what you're asking," he gave me a warm smile. "I actually own the hardware store and a garage. So, if you want me to fix that scratch on your sexy Impala, I'll help you for free," he said, pointing to my Impala parked outside my house.

"For free, huh?"

"Yes, or you could go on a date with me?" he grinned.

"Ah, I should have known you only wanted to get to know me for a joy ride," I let out a bitter laugh.

"A joy ride?" Atticus stopped and turned to me, smiling a bit. "I'd love to take a joy ride in your Impala, though I'm not the one who's doing the riding."

What? I was momentarily stunned.

"Is that so?" I tried to keep my breathing even as he approached me. He smelled so good I wanted to bury my face in his sweater. He looked enticing in the darkness, and I almost leaned in.

Focus, Emilia.

"Yes, I'd love to sit in the passenger seat." His eyes dropped to my lips, back to my eyes, and the corner of his mouth tipped upwards. "You look flushed, Emilia. Is something the matter?" I hated the way he said my name.

"Well, I did jog, remember?" I retorted, a bit annoyed. "That tends to flush the skin." I began walking up to my house, and to my surprise, he followed me all the way to the stairs. I turned to say goodbye, but he just leaned nonchalantly against the railing.

"What?" he asked, his demeanor slightly amused by my growing irritation. He was playing with my emotions and senses, so I decided to do him one better.

"What are your plans for tomorrow night?" I asked, and he seemed happily surprised by the change of heart.

"Nothing important," he replied and stood straight as I opened my front door.

"Okay, have fun doing nothing," I said, which earned me a snort as I shut the door behind me, then locked it.

I appericiate you taking your time to read my story. Please leave me a vote, follow and a comment if you want to show me some support

Find me on other socials

Instagram: emersonwinter.author

Pinterest: emersonwinter1

Tiktok: emersonwinter.author

Inkitt: emersonwinter

Thanks