Godfather

"Drosselmeyer? What brings you here?" He smiles at me. "Ah, you know we have our Christmas celebration a bit early. The others are not involved in our worlds celebration." I nod. "Yes? So why are you here?"

  He holds up a doll. It is called a Nutcracker, I believe. "This is...?" He smiles. "My nephew. You remember he had a curse placed on him years ago." I nod. "You want me to help lift it....?" He shakes his head. "No, my Goddaughter will help with that. I looked at the stars and found that she was the one meant for the job."

  I look up. "Orion has been having a blast with the kids. They have been convincing him to draw out their pictures into the stars..." Drosselmeyer pauses and looks up. "I see..." I set a hand on his shoulder. "Sorry. Ah, that does not mean the stars cannot tell you things though. Orion draws things with them, but they can still help you. After all, they contain magic from him and the other children."

  We are both silent a moment. Did I make things worse...? I should not have brought up the kids being in charge of the stars. They just seemed to be having so much fun, and it does not hurt anything. Unless you are seeking answers, then you begin to question those answers when you know they were given by children.

  Oh dear, whatever. "So, your Goddaughter?" He breaks from his trance and nods. "Yes, she is still young, only about twelve or so, but that does not mean she cannot help. Besides, give her a few years and she will be of marrying age." I nod. "Just be sure she is willing to help..." He smiles. "I know. Would you like to come with me? You can just watch if you want." I look around. "I am not currently needed here, nor do I have anything urgent... Alright, I can go."

  He nods. "Great!" I leave a note for Eero, he is currently in a meeting, and then follow Drosselmeyer. The children are staying with Roya right now, so they will be fine. If I am needed, they can send for me. The pixies almost always know where I am anyways.

  We arrive outside a large house. It is snowing, and cold. One of the things I do not like about this time of year. Well, this world's time flows a bit faster than most. Several Christmas' can go by while the other worlds are still in the summer months.

  Actually, this world does not receive the same care as the other worlds exactly because of this reason. The other worlds tend to all match up for the one time of year that makes many of those in and around Fairie particularly busy.

  That is not important right now though. "This is the house of your daughter?" He nods. "And my Goddaughter." I nod. "Why not just call her your granddaughter?" He shakes his head. "Her mother was already a bit older when I began caring for her. So I took on the role of Uncle more than anything. She asked me to be her younger daughter's Godfather."

  I frown. "You are the younger daughter's? I thought it was supposed to be the oldest child." He shrugs. "I agreed, they did not tell me why it was the younger daughter." I nod. "Right, I guess it is not actually important." He smiles.

  "Come inside." He walks up to the door and opens it, leading the way in. Someone greets us and takes us to a large room with a tree. Several people are already here. "Uncle Drosselmeyer!" A young woman walks over and pulls him into a hug. "I am so happy you could make it!" She looks at me. "This is...?" I smile. "This is my friend, Lady Thorne. She agreed to come with me tonight. Her husband was busy so he could not make it."

  She nods with a smile. "I am happy you could attend. Please, come in and enjoy the party." She turns. "Clara darling, your Godfather is here!" A small girl runs over to greet him. "Godfather!" She laughs as she hugs him.

  He smiles. "I have brought gifts!" The other children runover happily. He turns to three large boxes. I do believe he used magic to get them here. "Watch closely." He pulls out a key from the air and walks over to the boxes. Eyes glistening, he turns the key in the three hidden keyholes and the boxes open to reveal three lifelike dolls.