Skills

I look at the paperwork piled up on my desk and sigh. Somehow or another, I have found myself swamped with work. I prefer to go out, but lately, I have felt like it would not be a good idea. Instead, I offered to stay home and help here. I am beginning to regret it though... I just want to curl up in a ball and sleep a few hundred years.

"Hey, are you alright? You can stop if you want." I look up at Eero. "I am fine." He smiles and walks over to me. "Thorne, I know you well enough to know you are not fine. You hate paperwork, and staying inside. We can handle things here. Go out and get some fresh air. I just received word that Jack is working with his first official apprentice."

I look at him. "What! Really?" He nods. "Yes. Go check in on him. It will be fine." I smile, standing up to hug him. "Thank you!" He grins and kisses my cheek. "Go on. Alphonse and I can get this done faster than you. By the time you return, we will probably already be finished." I scoff. "I can do it equally fast... I just choose not to!" He smiles. "Mm. You are right. No go out and relax." I kiss him and hurry out.

Jackie has his first apprentice! Ella does not really count as she is his daughter, neither does Chio, for the same reason. Official apprentices are not related. I wonder who he has? Is it someone from Fairie? A human? A half blood?

I wave my hand and allow myself to follow his magic trail. When I look around, I am outside a shop. It is not his jewelry shop though, it is a tailors shop. "Jackie?" I push open the door and see him watching over a young boy.

Hmm, if I did not know all of his children, I might mistake the boy for one of his kids. "Aunt Thorne? What brings you here? I heard that you were not leaving home." I smile and hug him. "Oh, Eero told me to go. I think him and Minou were tired of me not doing enough paperwork..." He laughs.

"I can see that. Well, this is my apprentice, Jaison. Jaison, this is my Aunt Thorne." The boy smiles at me and nods. "Pleased to meet you..." I reach out to ruffle his hair. "You are a tailor now?" Jackie shrugs. "I learned when I was waiting for the shop to officially open. Well, I knew a bit before that. When I worked for Henry in the beginning, I was still not really great. By now, I can easily do the work. I guess working alongside Silvia for a while helped."

I smile. "How is she?" He shrugs. "I last heard that she was raising a family. She married the descendant of some emperor or something. I am not really sure though." Emperor? I believe I worked with her on a job involving one...

Whatever. "Well, no need to mind me, I just came for fresh air and to see your little apprentice. When Eero told me you had an official one, I wanted to see them for myself. He is cute, young. I would have mistook him for one of your kids though..." Jackie smiles. "I know, right? Though, Sam is too young." I shake my head.

"Sam will grow up to look just like you. If you have another, maybe they will resemble the other instead. My children seem to resemble me more than their father though... I wonder why that is? Could it have something to do with age? Or magic?" Jackie shakes his head. "I have no idea." I would say you could ask someone older, but that might be a problem with you..."

I roll my eyes. "Yes, it is impossible.... Anyway, I think I will let you two get back to learning and instead go walk around." Jackie nods. "Ah, Jaison has three older brothers, you can see what they are up to. He said they each parted way to learn a trade." I smile.

"That sounds interesting. I can check in and let you know how they are?" Jaison nods. "I would like that. But, how will you find them?" I smile. "Oh, no need to worry about that. I should return soon. A few days at most." Jackie nods. "Safe travels." I smile. "Mm, have fun." I turn and walk out of the shop. Four brothers, huh?

I wonder what each of them are doing now? Why did they leave home in the first place? Kicked out? Or just decided to travel? Hmm, I am sort of looking forward to this trip. I am glad Eero got me out of there. I love home, I do, but I sometimes start to feel trapped if I stay inside. It may be from the memories of before all of this, but that is not what matters, I simply need to get out sometimes.