Blossoms

Remi mindlessly plays with the keychain on his backpack, twisting it around his fingers and hearing the slight jingle. Bouncing his leg nervously, he looks around the bus for you. The bus doors creak as they close, and you have not yet entered. He feels a knot in his throat form, the ominous feeling he felt when you weren't at the bus stop coming to fruition. He squeezes the little plush on the keychain, attempting to calm himself. Maybe she is sick. Maybe she just missed the bus, or woke up late. He runs through multiple possible reasons before pulling out his phone and texting your number. After nervously correcting his grammar and spelling, he sends the message asking if you were sick and if he could help with anything. Slipping his phone into his pocket, he takes deep breaths. It's been awhile since he has been alone on public transportation.

-----------

Nope. You didn't come today. Remi's heart convulses as he cannot see you anywhere in the lunch room or even outside. You hadn't even texted him back. Tears well up in his eyes. Does he mean that little? That you wouldn't even text him? Do you think he's useless? His mind spirals. No. Not her. He affirms with himself. She might just be very busy. He sits down alone outside, once again, just like it had been before. His grey eyes scan the cafeteria through the window every other bite, hoping that somehow, you will just appear. 

His grey gaze locks with a the cold blue one of Ren, who is as usual, like a statue. Edmund Wildes sits beside him, strangely covered in patches. Ren narrows his eyes, and Remi immediately averts his gaze. He clenches his fists, feeling his nails sink into his palms, almost relishing the painful feeling. Anything to keep his mind away from the fact that you aren't here. Since when did he become so reliant? He pauses, mulling over the idea. He frowns as he realizes you aren't even half as attached to him. He sighs. It's because he isn't worthy isn't it? The cruel voices of a multitude of bullies fill his mind, telling him he was too weak, too fragile, too-

Arms wrap around him from behind, your scent of tangerine tea and honey filling his nose. His body immediately relaxes as he hears you say, "Hey Remi." in a sleepy voice. "H-hi" he says, meeting your eyes as you sit down next to him. Still exhausted, you rest your head on the table, looking at him. You smile, your eyes tired and your face puffy from lack of sleep. 

Truly, you were glad to have a friend outside of the world of the mafia. Of course, you still enjoyed the company of Lilren and Alexandre, but Remi was like a gem in the rough to you. Remi smiles, pure exhilaration filling him now that you are here. It felt like such an intimate moment to him, as if there was only the two of you in the world. He could freeze time, and be perfectly happy. You sit up, rolling your shoulders back in an attempt to get rid of the clenching soreness up and down your spine.

 "Did you get here okay Remi?" you say, remembering his aversion to busy and crowded places. Remi nods, a rosy blush rising. She does care. She does care. He repeats the mantra in his mind, his adorable smile getting slightly bigger.

 "Uhm- if you don't mind me asking, why were you late?" Remi says, trying to convey the exact feeling of care towards you. You grimace, you had been called into work at about 2 am, after you had fallen asleep at 12 am. Gotten yelled at by Boss due to 'reckless and stupid actions' because of you taking in Wildes. On top of that, Alexandre was extra mean, meaner than usual for some reason. And Lilren was away on a mission, so there was no one who even barely understood your feelings and reasons. You felt like you were going to crack, and spill all over the floor. 

This time, it's your eyes that slightly well up with tears, as you say, "Oh, just a rough morning." Concern fills Remi and he timidly rests his hand on your head, gently petting it just as you had awhile ago. His chest constricts as he can visibly see and feel your stress and how overwhelmed you are. You smile through blurry tears, the gentle contact honestly something that you haven't felt in awhile. You loop Remi in with one arm, and murmur, "I'm glad we are friends, Remi." He rests his cheek on the top of your head, hoping that you can't feel his racing heart. Friends...he isn't sure if he likes that term. But he will be anything you need him to be.  Anything.

-----

The plastic fork in Wilde's hand snaps, his grip shattering the utensil. Ren looks over at him, disgust painting his features. He says nothing, just turns his navy gaze back to you and Remi, gently hugging.  The taste of iron fills his mouth as he bites on his tongue, standing up and striding out the door, taking all of his strength not to slam the door behind him. 

He taps your back, putting on a smile. His mind shouts at him to throttle the silver haired boy and lock you up. But no. He won't. Everything has to be perfect. "Good afternoon, y/n" he says, sliding into the seat next to you. You straighten up, and smile, albeit a majorly forced one. 

"Hey Ren." you say rather awkwardly. You can't believe he is still trying to honey pot you. You wish you could just be friends with him, but once you tell him you know he's a honey pot, he will likely leave. Or try to kill you. That too. So you have to play this safe. "How is Edmund?" you say. Ren freezes, icy rage filling him. First names now huh...just fucking like when we were kids. 

"He's fine." he says flatly. Ren attempts to relax but the silver haired boy is staring at his y/n too intensely.

 "Remi, I heard that you don't like crowds. Or buses. I could drive you, if you want." Ren says, insincerity almost dripping from his voice. You tense up from the sudden change, and feel a tad bit of anger rise up. Leave Remi out of this. Remi shifts nervously. He really doesn't want to miss anymore time with you. 

"I'm g-good." he mutters, and you place your hand on top of his. It was meant to be a re-affirming gesture, but Remi's face lit up like a red traffic light. 

The bell rings, and the three of you stand up. Ren glares over at Remi, who is too busy fumbling with his bag to notice. The black haired boy has to bite back scathing remarks towards him. 

"Y/n," he says, his voice softening just a tad. "Can I speak to you after school?" Your e/c eyes meet his, and his heart sinks as he visibly sees distrust shining in them. 

"Sure." you say. "In the courtyard?" He nods, and awkwardness settles as you both walk toward the same class. "See you in a bit Remi!" you say over your shoulder, and Remi smiles brightly before reluctantly trudging in the opposite direction.