002 | Getting Out of Hand..

"What floor was he on?"

Venom's perfect memory spiraled back to day one with Steven and answered much calmer than Clara really was about meeting the "threat" they have been tasked with this mission for, "Fifth floor. I'll give you a lift."

He did not wait any moment whatsoever. They've done this a thousand times before, after all.

Venom detached a strong tentacle from her waist and wrapped it once around her. Then he allowed it to spring in speed and reach out to connect with the railing of the stairs, to the side, rather than the elevators right ahead. Clara helped him too, by jumping off the ground and giving the symbiote flesh the momentum to pull her off the ground and through the air, a way of traveling distances faster.

Behind the spot where she jumped, new cracks have been added to the dirty concrete floor in need of a broom sweep.

With the sheer power held by that seemingly sticky substance Venom was made out of, the jump carried out first to bring her to the stairs. Another bit of the Venom expanded from Clara's back and helped her stick to the wall, plant her heels in there and prepare for another jump.

This time Venom reached upwards, grabbed the railing on the fifth floor and brought her up there just in time for Steven Grant to bump into her. And then, though he despised the idea, Venom retracted back under her skin.

Steven yelped. His right hand clasped over his mouth to muffle a far too loud scream for feeling Clara's hands pressure his shoulders like a comfort blanket which he suddenly missed so dearly. Trembling from every limb, he had a hard time trying to tame his mind from flinching his body around, to look back at the dark hallway he was hoping to leave behind.

"The... with guns..." His voice was a tremor in its whole.

Clara's hands squeezed a bit tighter. "Steven, concentrate. We need to go."

"What?" Steven looked back at her. "Wait...," his voice pitched and grew quieter, "how are you here?"

"It doesn't matter." Her right hand grasped him by the forearm. She was going to turn them around, to get them going back down the stairs, and outside. But from the end of the hallway, heavy boots ran up.

"Assault rifles. Suit on-"

"No!" Clara shouted out loud, earning a very confused glance from Steven. She started putting her concentration into blocking out Venom's material from coming out and shielding her body with his own form.

But at the very same time, Steven's confusion made him stumble and the bullets from the rifles started firing at them.

"What do you mean no?!"

Steven Grant panicked and while Clara had left her guard down, his stumble dragged her along, falling against the railing which on the other side held only the five storey drop to the ground floor. Old buildings should not be trusted to support the weight of two people at once. The rust in the joints of the railing, that old part which barely connected the metal to concrete pillars in the walls, creaked once then turned to dust. The metal fence fell first and the power of the fall, just a second of clumsiness and lack of attention, drew the two after it as well.

Things just got out of hand, because Steven saw his life, pitiful, short and missing bits as it was, flash before his eyes. This was it for him, so he shut his eyes and waited to feel some wind on his face for yet another second and then let gravity, undeniably squish him to a dirty ground.

However, he opened his eyes after a shortness of breath and saw that dreaded end still five floors beneath him, while he felt a clear discomfort on his left arm. Steven hesitantly looked up, because now that the panic spiked sloped down, he heard the gunshots once more.