005 | Didn't Die Divinely..

Death happens when you least expect it.

Though it drowns, it isn't rain to warn anyone with clouds.

Death is sudden.

It strikes. It takes. It rips souls like a greedy hand would pick out flowers from the garden.

Death is unfair, because why would the hand ever reach down to pick a weed when the most beautiful plant embraces the bloom of its life right next to it?

"Clara?" Venom's voice was a distant echo, a mere background noise while her mind flooded in an instant, much like her cheeks. Her throat clogged until her scream was deafened. Fingertips trembled, lost and unable to process... why?

"Is this my fault?" she whimpered to herself, because her lips didn't even move and words couldn't get past that suffocated chest. It was her fault though, she believed that. If only she didn't argue with Khonshu further...

"Clara!" Venom called again, a notch clearer, but still, her tears obstructed her mind. Drop after drop, they dripped on Marc's still face, getting colder by the second.

And she didn't know what to do, for the first time in a long time.

Helpless, on every level, Clara felt like she had just been killed too.

Grief twisted with denial and her hands, no matter how masochistic it would seem, refused to let go of him.

Emotions shattered and the rain of shards left her chest but an empty carcass, a gap where the love used to be. It turned to rust inside and bitterness stung the back of her throat.

The taste of death was as bitter as the lake of scarlet in which she knelt with him in her arms. His lifeless eyes looked through her and Clara knew the longer she stared, the more this image would haunt her for eternity, but not for a second did she consider looking anywhere else.

Emptiness, bitterness... In the midst of that garden of evil slithered the weed of guilt. Clara knew that she had killed the person she loved the most. By not being more attentive to their surroundings, by letting her guard down and allowing herself to get lost in his eyes and the illusion of safety that his presence created for her.

It was all her fault that the dried blood on her hands caught another layer.

Panic's turn came to impale her crippled heart in under a second since her knees had found the ground to be their grave.

Widening, her eyes stopped on her hands and their clumsy smudge over the scene. His blood. It was not an unfamiliar sight to have it paint her skin, but unlike their first meeting, in that dark junkyard... this was an image which horrified her breath into stopping.

Violence ran in Clara's veins, but she felt her stomach turn, about to vomit out the nothingness it held, similarly to her heart. A blank slate of acidity. She was sick; the scent of her home had just died.

"Clara!" Venom properly shouted this time, enough to get her eyes to raise and fix on the door which had then been kicked open.

"Visual confirmed. Target 2 eliminated." Clara didn't care about the O.M.N.I.U.M. soldiers who barged in until overhearing their formal mission conversation reminded her there was yet another party to blame: who pulled the trigger? She looked up.

"Venom-?"

"I know," the symbiote interrupted. "I'm with you."

"Beginning extraction for Target 2," the soldiers continued, advancing slowly towards their target still knelt beside the corpse. However, Clara's hands were off him at last. Revenge fell in her eyes, those lifeless dark things, with a thousand paths of pain inside fuelling double that amount of hatred.