Family Ties(4)

Notes:

Thanks for continuing to read this story! Truly, it's really a treasure to come on here and see the comments and votes and know that people are enjoying it. I primarily write for small/dead fandoms, so seeing actual engagement is such a rare thing for me. I hope you can continue to enjoy it!

--------------------------------------------------

As Rok's new room wasn't prepared he had been led instead to the dining room for an early dinner. Food always being a proper way to welcome one's guest into the household.

"If you'll excuse me, young masters." Ron began, stiff with ingrained formality. "I will inform Hans of our new arrival and personally ensure that your rooms meet our standards."

Rok didn't feel like playing the nobility game of acting shy only to then be reaffirmed of his value. So, he just inclined his head in understanding, avoiding the older man's intent gaze.

Perhaps in a different world he'd feel more intimidated by such a person, but assassin background aside the most scary thing about Ron was that he stared like Eruhaben did when he disapproved of something.

"Thanks, Ron." Rok spoke instead. "I appreciate all you're doing for me. I'd like to formally introduce myself, if I may."

"I'd be honored." Ron responded, words just as honeyed as Rok's-and just as false.

Rok wouldn't be surprised if the older man planned on watching him over the next few days. He was someone who had passed as family but had no papers to prove it. Ron likely didn't trust the blood bowl, his honed instincts telling him something wasn't right about the entire situation.

Those instincts were useful for the future when facing down the organization created by the White Star, but not so much now, when Rok needed to be able to leave at any given moment.

"My name is Rok." he spoke, not reaching his hand out as a noble should never do so for a person ranked beneath them. He was drawing the line now purposefully, showing he had some clue about how the nobility was meant to act. Playing the 'oblivious bastard commoner' would work on the older man. "Rok Thames as of this last hour."

Ron quietly glanced over to Cale for his reaction, smiling complacently all the while, before looking back towards him once more. He couldn't tell if the man had gotten what he'd wanted from that observation, but Cale had grown far better at concealing his feelings over the past few years. There was no awkwardness to be found anywhere in the fifteen year old's form, so Ron wasn't figuring out the truth that easily.

"An honor to meet you, sir." Ron bowed slightly in recognition. As the Thames family had originally been a barony, it wasn't nearly as deep as he would for anyone in the Count's family, but it had the appearance of sincerity at the least. "It is good to serve someone of the Thames name once more."

"Yes." Rok replied, "Dreadful business, the loss of my family. But at least I can find solace in my newly found cousin."

He looked to Cale to solidify his act, giving the teen a small, embarrassed smile. Cale returned the smile more sincerely, the wide grin causing his cheeks to stretch. It made Rok feel slightly bad for the deception, seeing such a rare display of true happiness coming from him. Cale was involved in the lie, but perhaps the idea of having someone truly on his side in the household was the cause of this unexpected joy.

There were times he wished he had followed his instincts more readily. Rok had thought of taking Cale away from this place years ago, but had known too well how much they would need the Henituse wealth during war time. He had a bit of hope that Cale could mend his torn relationships within this household, but at times it seemed as if it wasn't truly worth it.