On a Quest for Change(1)

Rok felt only slightly smug about how easy it was to kidnap Cale from his room while the Molans remained ignorant. He had decided to move the three of them into town first, avoiding any chance that the swelling of mana that came with teleportation would give them away. He had even stopped briefly just before their hidden forms, Cale and the baby dragon silenced behind him, just to see if they'd notice them.

His suppression skills really were the best of the best if they could fool such an esteemed assassin family. He could admit to being the tiniest bit proud that not even Ron had shown any signs of awareness, even if the older man's lips were pulled down in frustration, an instinctual feeling that something wasn't right. Years of practice had honed his instincts in a way that couldn't be replicated by magic. Rok was actually rather impressed by the older man, the tiniest bit frightened by the determined look in his eyes.

Even if Ron did decide to search their rooms, however, Rok had already won this round.

Once they were in the city proper it took only a moment to teleport to Puzzle City. The child had immediately claimed the right to take them, determined to improve his own skills. Rok had prepared himself for any accidental mishaps, but the baby dragon had successfully taken all of them to the correct place.

It was a bit of a shaky entrance, but considering it was his first time the dragon had done a very fine job.

"So, where exactly is this ancient power?" Cale asked hesitantly, taking in their new surroundings with a growing frown.

The older boy looked rather unimpressed with Puzzle City, which Rok completely understood. He had actually gone to this place first when making up an excuse to his father all those years ago and had been just as disappointed. The rocks stacked outside of the houses were boring in color and style, the homes themselves being rather bland as well.

Considering all the legends created to build up the place, it must be a let down for anyone first visiting. Even the tiny dragon by his side seemed a bit unimpressed, which was definitely an abnormal response considering he'd only been outside of the lair for a few days now. How boring must Puzzle City be to not interest even the most sheltered of their group?

"It's up the mountain a ways." Rok replied, ignoring Cale's disbelieving look.

"We're climbing a mountain? In the dark?"

"Little noble, did you forget?" the tiny dragon perked up, disappointment with the city vanishing. He wrapped himself around Cale's shoulders while tilting a small head. "Hyung and I are dragons, a mountain is nothing!"

As if in response to the baby dragon, Rok opened up one palm, creating an orb of condensed light which began to aimlessly float above them.

"Shall we go?" Rok's lip twitched when Cale only nodded, properly reminded of his companion's strength. Was it that easy to forget that Rok was a dragon? should he remain in his true form more often? That would be rather difficult considering his plans for the future.

He didn't understand why Cale would worry, it's not as if he hadn't seen Rok use his mana before. They had rescued the dragon currently draped over him in the middle of the night as well.

Maybe it was the difference of having to climb the mountain rather than appearing directly on one? Rok couldn't be sure.

As they entered the forest Rok separated their magicked light into smaller, separated orbs, floating them around in a circular display to better guide their path. In contrast to his usual standard, Rok let his presence flow freely, certain that any creature that had a thought to attack them would be quickly frightened off.

The lack of people and danger made for a very silent walk, or at least, it would be silent if not for the tiny dragon doing his very best to give them all away.