On a Quest for Change(3)

The guards were on edge the moment they were within earshot, hands reaching for their weapons, mana fluctuating with the urge to transform as they focused on the four in front of them.

Rok could understand their worry. As people left behind by the gods, the blue wolf tribe was no stranger to violent invaders. Especially when it came to the church and their most aggressive believers. The tribe itself had moved throughout the years due to being discovered by people with cruel intentions, their numbers dwindling due to constant attacks. The Roan kingdom tended to ignore their plight, not running a crusade against them but also not rendering any form of aid or support.

They were truly on their own no matter where they went.

From what the novel said, the most recent chief, Lock's uncle, had turned the population issues around. They were just beginning to thrive once more, safe from the people who thought their existence was a sin, when the White Star attacked.

It was a tragic history with an even more tragic ending. The guards being cautious was only a natural response after being hunted for so long.

So when one guard moved his spear to face them, a hardened expression on his face, one step from an all out transformation; Rok raised his hand to stop his family from coming any closer. It would only lead to trouble if they came across as a threat in any way, something which they didn't seem to understand. Eruhaben and Cale looked ready to fight back, eyes focused on the spear point which was centered towards Rok's chest. Choi Han's hand hadn't left his sword, tell tale signs of an aura manifesting around the hilt. From his shoulder he could feel Raon clench down, prepared to unleash magic on the unsuspecting protectors.

Why get so angry that he was the first target, anyways? That spear wasn't that powerful, and it's not as if they didn't choose him for good reason. He was at the center of the group, and as the youngest was likely the one the wolves would try to use in a bartering situation. If anything they said be upset over how predictable the guard's behaviors were.

"Choi Han, release your sword." he advised calmly, smiling ever so gently at the guards in hopes of showing their kind intentions. "We haven't come to harm you. This is a visit of peace."

"We've heard that before, human child." the wolf spat out, gripping his spear tighter. "I don't know how you found us, but we don't want any of your 'kindness'. Leave, now."

"Might be easier to kill them." the other commented without a care of whether or not they heard, warily meeting Choi Han's gaze. Rok knew that even though his companions were doing their best to suppress their mana that there was no stopping the wolves instinctive ability to sense danger. Eruhaben and Choi Han radiated intimidation by presence alone, even without the added aura boasting. "We'll have to move the village again if we let them go, and those two look noble."

"We are." Rok replied, smile remaining firm as he inclined his head at their acknowledgement. "I'm Rok Thames, and this is Cale Henituse, son of Count Deruth Henituse."

"The Henituse family?" the left guard questioned, moving the spear away from his form just slightly. "Why would anyone from the Henituse family seek us out?"

Ah, that made them curious.

He was lucky that Count Deruth and his forefathers held little desire to siege lands or claim power, nor were they closely affiliated with any churches or gods. To the wolves, who feared both those seeking power and those wishing to end their lives in the name of some unseen force, the Henituse name would be a welcome relief. It was likely only Count Deruth's vigilant guarding of his lands that stopped the wolves from hiding away in some forest or corner of their territory.