Chapter 21

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

The cold wind cuts the pain down that I am feeling.

During dinner with Scarlett, I kept trying to figure out where I knew the china dishes from. They are so unique with how the small designs seem to be engraved on.

At the time my mind was just brushing the china off as they have many designs. So, it just had to be a fancy dish and nothing about it.

Should have tried to remember it harder. Even though the food was fanstatic and Scarlett had out done herself.

With how full I was feeling after a few stolen kisses with Scarlett, I leaned back on the couch while she snuggled against my arm. Her warmth spreading through me was the best.

Scarlett's house was so cozy and warm. Never seen the area above the fireplace or even noticed it until now. Typically, I am more observant but apparently not when I am around Scarlett.

Honestly, I would have never got up from the couch if it wasn't for seeing a very old doll sitting behind the pictures.

The one single doll I have not seen in twenty years, and know without a doubt the doll it is. That dress was handmade by Emma's mom and the stains of blue from Emma's blue juice when it splashed everywhere. It is the same doll in the picture.

I stood up and got closer, the one picture I have from my childhood stares back at me in a different frame. Emma and me sitting on the floor of her parents house holding up the dolls.

My shock was an understatement. Each picture on the mantle, I stared at each pictures from Emma as a child and up to where it looks like a younger verison of Scarlett at high school graduation and her parents.

It hits me the scar on Scarlett's wrist, matches the one that I remember Emma having from one of her falls on the playground. That memory she had several stitches.

I heard when Scarlett said something. I must have been talking out loud.

A slap in the face comes to me. How many times did Emma's mom say her full name and Emma was her middle name. Scarlett Emma Anderson. All this time I have been with one that I have any good memories with.

She won't want me. I let her down. After all these years, twenty years. She lost her parents, shit her parents passed eight years ago Scarlett told me that. It is like a punch in the gut.

I have to go, it feels like the walls are closing in around me.

I faintly remember telling Scarlett that and then I was racing out the door. It started to feel like I couldn't breath, jumping on my bike I have never speed over the limit that bad in years.

Making it to my house, I stand on the back porch. My phone has dinged twice and rang once seeing it was Scarlett, I don't have it in me to answer. She will have questions and me being the jerk I am has avoided the past conversations.

We could have talked about the past and maybe put everything together. I should have seen the small things and going back on everything, I should have known Scarlett was my Emma.

I am scared of all the questions she is going to have. Why didn't I return back home or ever call. I was old enough I knew her phone number and could have got a phone, but I never did.

The last memory I had was Emma crying and it hurt so much. Then when I wanted to call my friend, there would be something happen and I never wanted her to know the events that happened when my mother moved us. The crime I was around and not being in a safe city.

Then as an adult, I went into the Army instead of coming home. It felt like it was the thing to do. I didn't have good grades with school and college was not an option for me. So the Army life was the way I went for the one term I was in.

Now, though after seeing all I did in the Army. I don't know if I can face her and tell her all the bad I have seen. I can't be the one that ruins her or brings her down. Because after everything she has been dealt she smiles and is so bubbly.

I have no clue what time it is, but the sun is already starting to raise in the sky. I have been up all night pondering over all of this.

My phone goes off again and I see it is Alex.

"Hello." my voice comes out hoarse from the crying I have done.

I am a pansy, it has been years since I have cried and I have strived to not cry.

"Where the hell are you? Scarlett called Maddy and said you just took off last night and ignored her." Alex's voices gets louder then normal.

"Alex you know my past." I start but stop.

"Duh, I have heard it all when we had nothing better to do. Not to mention lived through part of it with you." Alex states plainly.

"Are you alone?" I ask.

"Yeah, I am outside Maddy's place. Why?" Alex sounds bored.

"You have to promise not a word." I stall.

"Man it is me. Now, what in the hell is going on?" Alex sounds stern.

"Scarlett is Emma. From my childhood." I breath out.

"You found her man! Don't lose this and you have already fucked up once by this lame move." Alex sighs.

"She knows nothing from the last twenty years of my life but the basics of I was in service. I can't burden her with my crap." I choke up.

"That is for her to decide, not you." Alex states.

I nod my head, it is true. Then realize that Alex can't see me.

"I will figure out a way to talk to her." I answer.

"Good luck with that, she is pissed this morning." Alex informs me.

I sigh and rub my hand down my face. I deserve this.

"I will be in late today." I say before hanging up the phone.

I walk in the house and stare at the picture I put back with the doll by the coffee pot.

There is one stop I need to make before going into the shop today. I need to visit her parents, and apologize to them for everything.

After, I am finding a way to apologize to Scarlett and tell her everything. I hope I didn't just mess up this chance with her. She is the only happiness I have truly known.

A/N---
Hey Hey Guys!!!

What a chapter!?

Liam is letting his past get to him in so many ways within this chapter.

Is he letting Scarlett down now by the way he reacted?

Could you say now seeing his POV that his actions are justified or should he have stuck around to talk it out? Would have been so much sweeter if he had just stuck around and talked with Scarlett, right?

Alex may have spoke some wise words here. It seems to knock Liam on the right track.

How will this go from here?